Best place to live for a wreck diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Keene NH is pretty sweet.
Lake dives and all those dead maple leaves. Not!
It is actually beautiful. and a flight takes you to the best diving in the world, and who doesn't like a good trip?

I personally like NJ and NC. Both great places for real wrecks...not the ones put there so reef divers can feel cool too! There is so much history and fishing off NJ and NC it would take years to tire of.

South Carolina, way underrated. especially the Myrtle Beach area. World class wrecks like the Hebe, St. Cathan and civil war wrecks. Megaledon teeth to boot. Only a few hours to Morehead, one day to Florida and the northeast and it has it's own international airport.

Not reading all the posts here I would have to say the best place to live for wreck diving would be where a diver had access to the Great Lakes and to the Eastern Seaboard from Newfoundland all the way to Florida

Ber,

What is your bottom line of the driving hours for the weekend diving trip?

What is your bottom line of the expense for the weekend diving trip?

I mean the actual trips without having any students.

These questions has been asked to myself every weekends :wink:

Ber Rabbit:
Another vote for the Great Lakes. You don't have to live in the snow belt if you don't mind driving a bit to get to your wrecks. I'm in Dayton, OH and Lake Erie wrecks are 3-4 hours away depending on where you go, a little more drive time and I can be at Port Huron, MI. It's a 12 hour drive to Tobermory, Ontario, 12 hours to Panama City, FL, 12 hours to Ginnie Springs, 12 hours to the Outer Banks. We don't get tons of snow, the last few years we've only had to shovel the driveway 3 or 4 times if that. There are accessible airports in Dayton (it's called Dayton International don't know if it's a true international airport though), Cincinnati (1 to 1.5 hour drive depending on traffic), Columbus (+/-1.5 hour drive), Indianapolis (2 hour drive) and Detroit (about 3 hours). We also have one of the premier quarries in the midwest, Gilboa Quarry, within 1:45 to 2 hours of us for year round diving--the Great Lakes tend to have a dive season.

Good luck on your search!
Ber :lilbunny:

IMHO the best place for wreck diving would be a place in Brockville Ontario Canada called 1000 Islands more wrecks than you can shake a stick at great vis and also no thermoclines 74 degrees at surface and at 100 feet check it out.. we go yearly..

http://www.1000-islands.com/diving/

South Carolina. Great wreck diving in both North and South Carolina and smack in the middle of the eastern seaboard. Just a days drive either north or south to northeast, great lakes or florida.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom