Best place to see Mantas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We just did the Kona manta ray night dive in August, and we had about 15 mantas! They swim right past you and it's surreal. I imagine the for reliable mantas it doesn't get much better than this. The only drawback to this dive is that you aren't actually swimming with the mantas because of how organized the dive is. You just stay in your spot and don't go anywhere. Besides the mantas, the lava action was hot in Kona. We took a sunrise boat tour to see the ocean entry and it was like waterfalls of lava that you get within 20 feet of. You can't get that in the Caribbean.

The last time I did the Kona Manta Ray night dive was in May of 2008 -- 25 mantas showed up according to the official count. The whole thing was a bit like Close Encounters of the Third Kind. I was waiting for the High Priestess to show up.

Manta dives = Kona.

Any questions? :wink:

Seriously, the night manta dive was maybe the best single dive experience ever for me... my wife rates it as a top "Life Experience"... it is really that awesome.

I have seen large mantas during the day in Kona, Hilo and North Kohala, but this has been pretty rare (for me). The Kona night manta dive may be the closest thing to "for sure" when it comes to close encounters with mantas.

Best wishes.

ryssyr,

Outstanding video!

That video is outstanding, such clear water for a plankton bloom.

Can i ask which camera this was recorded on?

Last edited by a moderator:
Teamcasa - what a fabulous video!!

I'm sold, I'll plan to go to Kona in 2011.
Diving with Mantas, dolphins, whales and sea lions are all on my bucket list!

What hotel & dive outfit do you guys recommend?
What is the best time of year?

Thanks, Finbob

If you want whales it has to be in the winter.

Another vote for Kona, although nobody has mentioned Yap, and it's also a dedicated Manta destination that is pretty easy to include on a trip to Palau.

Here is a little mini report I did of my Kona night dive:

The coolest dive I've ever done. You leave the shop about 3:00 and do a late afternoon dive at the same location as the night dive, in order to get used to the location. Even during the day, we had at least 6 manta sightings, more than I've ever seen in one dive before.

After the afternoon dive, more boats start to show up. There are already 22 divers and snorkelers on our boat, and by dark there are 6 OTHER boats tied up, filled with more divers and snorkelers.

When it is completely dark, the divers all hit the water and go to a pre-determined spot on the bottom at 40 feet deep, and aim all dive lights up. All the snorkelers go to the same spot, and aim their lights down.

All this light attracts plankton, and all the plankton attracts feeding Mantas. I was first in the water and first on the bottom. Within a minute, the first manta cruised by. It was phenomenal. The larger ones are 12 feet across and weigh over 1000 pounds.

Within 20 minutes, after all the divers and snorkelers got on station, we had 26 mantas in a feeding frenzy above our heads. They would approach you directly, get within 3 feet of you, and pull up at the last second and actually graze the top of your head with their bellies. The would find places with lots of plankton and do 6 or 7 back loops to stay in the feeding area.

We were not allowed to touch them, but they would gently touch us in the course of feeding. At almost any moment you could reach up and touch one if you wanted to.

The dive lasted over an hour. I was exhausted from the excitement. It was beyond imagination.

The first four shots are from a pass-by during the afternoon dive.

manta3_9726.jpg

manta4_9725.jpg

manta5_9723.jpg

manta6_9734.jpg

Then the night dive. At first there was a school of fish feeding above us, the the first manta swam into the school and scattered them

manta13_9756.jpg

Then the mantas began appearing out of the darkness from every direction

manta15_9753.jpg

manta8_9754.jpg

manta9_9815.jpg

manta10_9779.jpg

manta14_9755.jpg

Sometimes they would line up in the middle and do coordinated steeply banked turns. It was graceful and beautiful. This shot was taken in front of me, not pointing up. The closest manta is doing a 90 degree banked turn.

mantaballet_9831.jpg

manta16_9814.jpg

Here are two mantas intersecting within 4 feet of me, and another approaching close behind. I was using a fisheye wide angle lens, so all the mantas are actually closer than they look.

manta17_9792.jpg

manta19_9828.jpg

manta20_9818.jpg

mantabelly_9838.jpg

When two mantas would approach each other head on, they would both pull up at the same time and sometimes belly-bump. I happened to be right underneath this one.

mantabump_9826.jpg

mantagills2_9850.jpg

The next photo has a lot of bubble interference, but I cranked up the ASA and lowered the aperture for a few shots just to try to capture some of the congregations of mantas above us. They were well out of strobe range so what you see is illuminated by the nearly 100 dive lights in the water. If you look closely you can parts of 8 mantas in the same shot.

mantagroup_9812.jpg

mantamouth_9846.jpg

I just got back from doing the SOLMAR V Socorro trip & we saw manta's on every dive. They weren't leary, came within a couple of feet most dives & even touched a diver 1 time. (The manta came so close that the diver was pushed down by the down push of it's "wing"). I'm still green w/ envy.

Back
Top Bottom