Best place to take a student

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

colo_diver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
for a fast refresher before they start the diving week?

We have a new diver going the the Wyndam with us and would love to get them in the water the day before our diving week begins just to run thru all the skills and get the weights right. Since we are staying at the Wyndam it ilooks like we can just go rioght off the pier, but I am told there is no shore diving there. I have read through all the threads and I am confused. So where might we be able to do this. To be honest I don't care if they seen much, just need to get in the water and get them handled and ready for their first awesome experience.

Thanks

Joe

If you've reserved your diving or are using the hotel op, this is a question for the op. All ops should appreciate their customers taking pre-boat-dive checkouts -- most do and offer tanks and locations on request. There may be some confusion between parties as to whether you are asking for a "shore dive" or a "checkout." You want to clearly request the latter.

Colo Diver-

We frequently stay at the Wyndham and dive with Sand Dollar Sports (the dive op located at the Wyndham).

There is no shore (or off-the-pier) diving at the Wyndham.

Having said that, when you get to the Wyndham, see if your "new" diver can do a refresher/check-out dive with Alex or one of the other instructors at Sand Dollar Sports. You might also be able to call their USA office and arrange this in advance (1-888-737-6399).

I specifically mentioned Alex, because I have personal experience with him. Over the years, he has taught my children and others that I have referred to him (Open Water, Rescue), and all were very satisfied. If Alex is not available, I'm sure one of their other very competant Instructors can help.

Jeff.
DIVERSIFIED DIVERS SCUBA - Home Page

I would agree with ddeborahdelamar, the dive op that your book with would give you the best answer to your question. That said I would suggest an afternoon dive at Paradise Reef, it is about 40 fsw deep and a great dive.

We've done our check-out dives for weight checks at the Hotel Barracuda. Anybody can go there and do a single tank (Dive Paradise on site has tanks). They have walk-in steps. You can stand in waist to chest deep water that is sorta closed in with a underwater wall. Once you feel ready, swim over the wall and you'll be out in the current. There's not much to see except concrete rubble, but near the pier and shorewall area we've seen all kinds of sealife creatures. Just be watchful of boat traffic coming to the pier AND don't drift past the hotel area into the Navy yard area. It's shallow enough to feel comfortable, check weights, and very easy to use their steps for entry and exit. The El Cid La Ceiba hotel also has a walk-in area to do shore/checkout dives if getting to Hotel Barracuda is too far from the Wyndham. It has ropped off areas so you wouldn't have to be worried about boat traffic overhead, but it also has the cruise ships near there so the water gets churned up..... Have fun. That checkout dive always makes the first day on the boat A LOT less stressful.

We've done our check-out dives for weight checks at the Hotel Barracuda. Anybody can go there and do a single tank (Dive Paradise on site has tanks). They have walk-in steps. You can stand in waist to chest deep water that is sorta closed in with a underwater wall. Once you feel ready, swim over the wall and you'll be out in the current. There's not much to see except concrete rubble, but near the pier and shorewall area we've seen all kinds of sealife creatures. Just be watchful of boat traffic coming to the pier AND don't drift past the hotel area into the Navy yard area. It's shallow enough to feel comfortable, check weights, and very easy to use their steps for entry and exit. The El Cid La Ceiba hotel also has a walk-in area to do shore/checkout dives if getting to Hotel Barracuda is too far from the Wyndham. It has ropped off areas so you wouldn't have to be worried about boat traffic overhead, but it also has the cruise ships near there so the water gets churned up..... Have fun. That checkout dive always makes the first day on the boat A LOT less stressful.

You can also do that at the Caribe Blu hotel with Blue Angel dive op.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom