Best practices of GUE versus other dive programs ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Your secondary is safely tucked under your chin, not dangling beneath you. You do test it, don't you?
Seeing as how I normally dive a FFM, no, my octo isn't on a necklace under my chin. But yes, I do check for functionality before every dive. So unless something has happened to it during the course of the dive, it would be a guaranteed functioning reg.

@Sh0rtBus I dive CCR, double hoses, and FFM's where I obviously can't primary donate as well but that doesn't mean primary donate isn't ideal. It is, just no way to do it when you need to use those types of systems. Doesn't mean you can't check them and keep them contained a lot better than the recreational agencies usually have them.
In FFM/CCR in particular, I do want to make sure I have a VERY rapid removal procedure for the secondary since it is MY backup as well if something goes wrong. Different ways to skin the cat, but in general primary donate is a lot better system, just not always possible

Seeing as how I normally dive a FFM, no, my octo isn't on a necklace under my chin. But yes, I do check for functionality before every dive. So unless something has happened to it during the course of the dive, it would be a guaranteed functioning reg.
If you're diving primary donate then it would be under your chin.

Its a system. Picking a choosing a piece here or there to use can compromise other parts of the system.

Cudos for you, many divers don't know where to look for the octo ofr test it. Donating primary is part of a total system and can not be exported just by itself imo. It neeeds gear setup, practise and skills from both donator and receiver which most of the rec divers lack. But when you get it, it's by far the quickest and most easy way to donate safely.

The thing I would like to see exported the most is not making dust. Conserves the enviroment and gives other divers a chance to actually see something.

Guaranteed working regulator for the OOG diver. (Appropriate gas isn't an issue at that level.) Have you ever noticed how many octos end up dragging along the bottom?

Conversely using that logic you'd give a panicked diver your reg - and then turn into a panicked diver yourself when you went to breathe and nothing came out. I've also had the bungee on my necklace come undone - that was more of a pain to sort underwater than a normal octo.

I do think that primary donate is better. More for the long hose than anything else. But some of the reasons given baffle me.

Your secondary is safely tucked under your chin, not dangling beneath you. You did test it, didn't you?

You are about as likely to test is as you would be a normal alternate. And no I don't always check mine - I should but I can be sloppy and lazy. If you were to follow the PADI buddy system rigorously then you would always check the alternate though.

@HantsDiver BSAC uses long hoses on their secondaries instead of primaries.
You should be checking your secondary around your neck throughout the dive so there should be no sudden lack of function

BSAC isn't standardised and they do whatever they like.

I'm not trying to be argumentative. And I know you know your stuff. But lets be realistic here. If it worked before you jumped in. It will work an hour later underwater. Repeatedly checking it during a dive is both unessersary and introduces other elements of risk. I dive almost exclusively with people who dive with a long hose and necklace - and unless they are practising a drill I'm yet to see any of them do this.

Edit - if you do feel this is an advantage then there is absolutely nothing to stop you checking your more standard alternate either.

You are about as likely to test is as you would be a normal alternate. And no I don't always check mine - I should but I can be sloppy and lazy. If you were to follow the PADI buddy system rigorously then you would always check the alternate though.
GUE EDGE is your answer. GUE divers check their whole gear setup and dive plan before dive start. If done properly the chance of a non working backup is about zero. Furthermore do GUE divers (at least the ones I know) train regurlarly faillures and procedures including S-drill (= air sharing). It's part of how they dive.

More qualified instructors, better quality control, and a structure where instructors can expect to make more than minimum wage (and avoid the race to the bottom).

The absolute minimum requirements to become a GUE instructor candidate (for Rec 1) is 200 dives, and it is a long, complex (and expensive) process to become a GUE instructor. You have to regularly teach to maintain your instructor status, and every 4 years you have to demonstrate to an instructor examiner that you are still teaching the way GUE wants you to teach. In order to get a card a student needs to send in a QC survey response that includes a series of questions on prohibited practices, so there is feedback on what instructors are doing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom