Best practices

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

noblesix

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi fellow divers. I'm pretty sure most of you have been to many places diving with different dive centers or resorts. I would like to compile some best practices that you witnessed/experienced that really impressed you. It really can be anything; service, attention to details, how they maintain/store equipment, safety practices, routines, shop layout or equipment display, etc.

Please share and maybe we can learn one or two things from each other. Let me share mine:
do you know that velcro straps that hold your power inflator hose from dangling around? I once went this dive center who had embroidery labels of their dive center name and size of the bcd. It was big and visible enough compared to the original size tag comes with the bcd. I thought it was cool and very practical.

Paid for each dive the day of the dive on the boat. Before we left dock, new divers showed c-cards, payment was made by credit card (the cc machine was right there on the boat), and although there was a discount for multiple days of diving, the discount was taken into account for that day's payment. No credit card on file, just had to bring it each day.

The two low-end Mares rental models - Rover and Rover Pro print the size on the right shoulder. No weight integration - strictly jacket models for use with a belt.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 148
Offer me big tanks! I'm well into my 40's, about 6'1" and close to 270#, and not particularly in shape. If all you've got are AL 80's, me, a skinny athletic 20 year old guy and a 5'2" lean and petite woman may sit in a row on your boat, each with the same size tank.

That's nuts.

What I don't see but would like to are dive briefing write ups we can review in advance. Some people learn better by reading and re-reading than one shot listening on a noisy boat. We'd still need the oral report, but the option for added advance study would be nice.

Paid for each dive the day of the dive on the boat. Before we left dock, new divers showed c-cards, payment was made by credit card (the cc machine was right there on the boat), and although there was a discount for multiple days of diving, the discount was taken into account for that day's payment. No credit card on file, just had to bring it each day.
How is that a best practice? I'm confused because I wouldn't want to do that.

One of the best shop set-ups I've seen is the one ran by Buddy Dive but not at the resort but their other facility at Belmar apts. on the south side.

The public/private areas of the shop are segmented by lockable doors so when the staff leaves, your condo room key still gives you access to the tank storage, the wall mounted nitrox analyzer, the wetsuit hanging area, the rinse tanks and your personal, lockable locker if you're staying in an upstairs unit.

They also stage tanks nearby at their dive dock for guests use which also has it's own rinse tanks and the entire shop is 20' off the parking lot - there's even a gate on the tank pickup so you don't even have to go inside the shop if you're wet.

Also, although they didn't set it up, the first floor units have a locking dive closet just outside the back door for storage of personal gear even closer to where your vehicle is parked - very optimized for one of the top shore dive locations in the world.

Another was at GoWest diving in Curacao. Pretty standard shop if a little hard to get to - a flight of hand-built stone stairs down to it but what they have is an indoor locker area with benches/facilities/lockers and when the dive group is all suited up they lock it behind you so your valuables stay safe. As the group returns, a staff member sees them walking up the dive dock and unlocks it as long as necessary.

Last edited:
Offer me big tanks! I'm well into my 40's, about 6'1" and close to 270#, and not particularly in shape. If all you've got are AL 80's, me, a skinny athletic 20 year old guy and a 5'2" lean and petite woman may sit in a row on your boat, each with the same size tank.

That's nuts.

What I don't see but would like to are dive briefing write ups we can review in advance. Some people learn better by reading and re-reading than one shot listening on a noisy boat. We'd still need the oral report, but the option for added advance study would be nice.
Hi, thanks for the reply. This is actually a good feedback. When I did my DM, I noticed the senior DMs drew maps of dive sites, wrote some infos about them on a whiteboard which I thought was good so people who forgot could always go back to see it.

A EPIRBs was loaned to every diver on board(Undersea Hunter) in Costa Rica when diving Cocos Island.
Hi, thanks for the reply. I would love to have one of those, or Nautilus lifeline. However, I don't think our center can afford it at the moment. =(

One of the best shop set-ups I've seen is the one ran by Buddy Dive but not at the resort but their other facility at Belmar apts. on the south side.

The public/private areas of the shop are segmented by lockable doors so when the staff leaves, your condo room key still gives you access to the tank storage, the wall mounted nitrox analyzer, the wetsuit hanging area, the rinse tanks and your personal, lockable locker if you're staying in an upstairs unit.

They also stage tanks nearby at their dive dock for guests use which also has it's own rinse tanks and the entire shop is 20' off the parking lot - there's even a gate on the tank pickup so you don't even have to go inside the shop if you're wet.

Also, although they didn't set it up, the first floor units have a locking dive closet just outside the back door for storage of personal gear even closer to where your vehicle is parked - very optimized for one of the top shore dive locations in the world.

Another was at GoWest diving in Curacao. Pretty standard shop if a little hard to get to - a flight of hand-built stone stairs down to it but what they have is an indoor locker area with benches/facilities/lockers and when the dive group is all suited up they lock it behind you so your valuables stay safe. As the group returns, a staff member sees them walking up the dive dock and unlocks it as long as necessary.
Hi Steve, do you by any chance have a picture of this place? Sorry I'm having a hard time picturing the place. I lack imagination and logic. =p

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom