Best practices

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with this. On both comments! My husband is a body builder and has a large muscle mass, so when there are 100s he can use he's thrilled. Also, written briefing would be great, during many of the dives I've done the briefing on board happened while half the divers are still busy getting gear together. It makes focus and questions difficult at times. Having a briefing on paper or while everyone can focus makes more sense.
Hello Kyra, thank you for the feedback. I will keep in mind to have larger tanks ready and have the briefing written somewhere even though it's just a summary of the briefing. I think it's been established that having a written format can be more effective for some people thus increases safety. Thanks again. =)

Some to consider, in no particular order

1) Reasonable and fair booking, payment, and refund policies.
2) Tank valves that will accept either yoke or DIN regulators ("pro" valves)
3) Larger tanks available for those of us with higher muscle mass/metabolism. For boat dives the tanks should fit in whatever brackets are on the boats. For most boats this means steel rather than aluminum 100s. Most of us who need them are willing to pay extra
4) (boat dives) Office/store/shop as close as possible to the boat or logistics handled in such a way that divers can proceed directly to the boat without a stop at the office/store/shop
5) (boat dives and dive docks) Ladders that will accommodate fin-on exits
6) Web-based reservations. Failing that, prices and schedule on the web
7) Separate rinse buckets for cameras
8) (boat dives) Freshwater showers on board
9) (boat dives) Fruit
10) Tip jar divided appropriately among crew, with sign or announcement to that effect, so divers don't have to figure out how to split tips among a DM, guide, captain, and off-duty employee who ends up helping
11) Proper fills for HP cylinders
12) A recognition that, for some of us, there is no such thing as a funny joke about EPIRBs, lifeboats, life vests, emergency O2, fire extinguishers, or any other safety equipment or procedures
13) Keep a clean shop/store/kiosk

Offer me big tanks! I'm well into my 40's, about 6'1" and close to 270#, and not particularly in shape. If all you've got are AL 80's, me, a skinny athletic 20 year old guy and a 5'2" lean and petite woman may sit in a row on your boat, each with the same size tank.

That's nuts.

Do you dive sidemount? That is something I'm getting into for more bottom time when I travel.

I'm not trained for side mount. I've got a stage kit, and I've dove with a 130 cf HP steel tank on my back & an 85 cf steel tank 'slung' clipped to my left BCD D-rings. Later got a 30 cf pony bottle instead, and recently picked up a 3 cf Spare Air I haven't tried yet.

Our local quarry requires solo divers be solo cert.d & I believe have a redundant air source, and that's where I've dove like this.

I considered side-mount, mainly in case I go back to Bonaire, but the hassle of messing with the more elaborate (& bulkier, with 2 tanks) rig has to be weighed against just getting out & hooking up another tank.

Some travel destinations have at least a limited supply of bigger tanks. Some examples:

1.) Rainbow Reef Dive Center, Key Largo, in 2013, had 2 100 cf AL tanks, I believe, which were what I used with them.

2.) Sun Dancer 2 (now called Belize Aggressor IV) - had me a 100 cf AL tank.

3.) Jupiter Dive Center, Jupiter, FL - had 120 cf steel tanks.

4.) Olympus Dive Center, Morehead City, NC - had 120 cf steel tanks.

5.) For whatever reasons, for a planned trip (Lord willing & providing) to Southern California in August on a limited load Southern Channel Islands live-aboard, the affiliated dive operation had at largest 95 cf tanks, and from what I understand really big (e.g.: 120 & 130 cf steel tanks) for rent can be hard to find out there. Very strange to my mind; California divers often wear dry suits, some dive solo, conditions are colder than Caribbean diving & entanglement (in kelp) a risk...seems like really big steel tanks would be a nice differentiator for an op. offering such.

When I shop a dive destination operator, all other things being about equal, if you've got steel 120 cf tanks & your competitor is 100 cf & less, I'll probably book with you.

Richard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom