Best quality gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You must look good, to scuba good

Over the past 47 years as a professional diver, I've tried my share of different brands and models of diving equipment. Like many of you, I've identified some that I prefer over others and have used them enough to develop confidence in them (enough to be dependent upon, on some pretty difficult dives).

When it comes to diving equipment, every diver has an opinion. It's important to keep in-mind that there are no last words when it comes to 'what is better.'

I recommend that a diver develop confidence in whatever piece of equipment s/he uses. No matter what the bench tests may indicate, this is the 'best equipment' for you to use. I'll take confidence over bench results any day. :)

A slight return to the rhetoric: Aqualung launches the new Legend today, and TELLS THE TRUTH:

From their Web: "If you want the same high performance features and ease of breathing as the Legend LUX but without the pink gold finish, you will find it with the Legend LX".

LUX: $995
LX: $680

Pretty comes at a price!
:D

That much for a reg is crazy. No way I'd pay that.

I would and I have. Currently diving with an Atomic M1 on the left post and a Z1 on the right post (both sealed), have given them nothing but abuse and minimal servicing and they reward me with flawless performance and reliability I count on deep on joisey shipwrecks.

I do believe that no company puts junk out there intentionally, but one man's junk is another man's treasure. There is a difference in the quality of materials, workmanship and design among regulators the same way there is among power tools, cameras and cars. And whenever possible - buy American!

Atomic regs - made in the USA. AUP (Hollis, Aeris and Oceanic) regs - made in the USA

From Aqualung's website:

Whether you are jet setting to an exotic location or diving your local spot, the Legend will give you the confidence to dive like a pro and look like a rock star.
Be a Leader. Be an Icon. Be a Legend.

When you dive with a Legend, you’re diving with the best. So why not get one that looks the best too? There is no mistaking the rich look of pink gold. This head-turner exudes quality. The tougher-than-nails PVD finish will keep its good looks too as the pink gold is much harder and durable than traditional chrome plating.

The "look like a rockstar" line has got to be the dumbest ad copy I have read from a scuba manufacturer. What rock star's wear regulators? I guess you just won't look like a rock star Jim.

Forgot to mention that I got my Atomics in 2002, besides a few scratches on the exhaust t on the M1 they look brand new.

According to my sources at AUP, regs and electronics are done in California. The first run of the new DG05 is being done overseas, but that is being brought in house.

Forgot to mention that I got my Atomics in 2002, besides a few scratches on the exhaust t on the M1 they look brand new.

According to my sources at AUP, regs and electronics are done in California. The first run of the new DG05 is being done overseas, but that is being brought in house.

Buying US made may be patriotic and congrats on that, seriously I respect people who will pay more based on a principle.

However, it is not assurance of better quality, design or workmanship. Detroit is proof of that one.

The AQ price differences $315 for the pretty finish (same reliability and ease of breathing according to the manufacturer) is a good demonstration of the type of issue Jim was complaining about, I.E. paying more for pretty / name / cool looks.

Getting back to real life, it does not mean there is not a difference regulators of different price points, it does mean you need to understand what those differences are and decide if those are important to you. Personally I like the lower end, but I also like Toyota and Honda cars, they fit me for my needs and I don't need to buy a hot car to drive the highway at 65MPH.

ams, it's 2 in the morning your time!

Thx for the tip, just found this: they sure look cool, but are they any good?

I picked one up almost 2 years ago when they first came out and put the 18# travel wing on it. I use it for travel to the tropics. It is not quite as stable as the metal plates but still much better than a conventional BCD.

... The "look like a rockstar" line has got to be the dumbest ad copy I have read from a scuba manufacturer. What rock star's wear regulators? I guess you just won't look like a rock star Jim.

I don't know if he was a certified rock star, but Jerry Garcia of the Grateful Dead was an avid diver until his death. I don't know if he endorsed AL either.
:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom