Best quality gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Buying US made may be patriotic and congrats on that, seriously I respect people who will pay more based on a principle.

However, it is not assurance of better quality, design or workmanship. Detroit is proof of that one.

But then again, you guys got something intangible that defies logic.

A (counter-) proof is this factory tour of what I think is one of the world' finest guitar maker. Watching the guys hand holding a big chunk of wood and merrily chopping away with some very primitive looking tools without a jig or even a ruler would have scared me s***less if I didn't already own one.

And I can tell you it's a fine guitar, and it's got that something extra that can possibly be called "SOUL".

Last edited:
I agree with the OP. My limited experience tells me that most scubagear will either function or not function with not much in between. Today it is after sales service that makes one brand better than the other. Some companies have given me excellent service and others that produced similar quality gear were not very impressive.

From Aqualung's website:

Whether you are jet setting to an exotic location or diving your local spot, the Legend will give you the confidence to dive like a pro and look like a rock star.
Be a Leader. Be an Icon. Be a Legend.

When you dive with a Legend, you’re diving with the best. So why not get one that looks the best too? There is no mistaking the rich look of pink gold. This head-turner exudes quality. The tougher-than-nails PVD finish will keep its good looks too as the pink gold is much harder and durable than traditional chrome plating.

The "look like a rockstar" line has got to be the dumbest ad copy I have read from a scuba manufacturer. What rock star's wear regulators? I guess you just won't look like a rock star Jim.

...that really is pretty silly! ...perhaps thery meant only rock stars can afford it? Another symbol of the scuba industry running out of creative ideas and that regulator technology 'hit the wall' a long time ago with respect to features/performance.

I would and I have. Currently diving with an Atomic M1 on the left post and a Z1 on the right post (both sealed), have given them nothing but abuse and minimal servicing and they reward me with flawless performance and reliability I count on deep on joisey shipwrecks.

I do believe that no company puts junk out there intentionally, but one man's junk is another man's treasure. There is a difference in the quality of materials, workmanship and design among regulators the same way there is among power tools, cameras and cars. And whenever possible - buy American!

Atomic regs - made in the USA. AUP (Hollis, Aeris and Oceanic) regs - made in the USA

The main issue is paying twice as much for 10 or 20% more performance. There is a point of diminishing returns, and the cost/benefit equation differs for 'extreme' divers vs say, recreational divers. I've got a pretty substantial reg 'fleet' (high end Apex XTXs...Atomic M1 and T2s......Poseidon Jetstreams......and low end Aqualung Titan LX's) and I've found my low-end Titan LX's do perfectly fine down to the deepest I've taken them ( 150' ).

The one constant people tend to forget is sea water relentlessly attacks all equipment regardless or original quality and performance, not to mention sand, grit and the normal abuse dive gear suffers. It does not care about the brand, how much you paid for it or what color the finish is. So even if you decide spending double for an incremental increase performance is worthwhile due to your circumstances, it takes only a few dives without proper cleaning (immediately after diving before salt crystals form) or abuse to reduce its performance to the level of more modest gear. That's why I continue to put the extra effort into keeping my modest gear cleaned and tuned up rather than making a larger initial investment.

That much for a reg is crazy. No way I'd pay that.

agreed! I'll buy a premium priced reg IF I get a sensational deal. In the last 2 yrs I snagged an esentially NIB Atomic T2 for $ 600 (retail about $ 1600) and a NIB Apex XTX 200 Tungsten/Egress octo for $600 (retail on the combo = $ 970), plus avoided paying my local 8.25% sales taxes on both purchases.

The one constant people tend to forget is sea water relentlessly attacks all equipment regardless or original quality and performance, not to mention sand, grit and the normal abuse dive gear suffers. It does not care about the brand, how much you paid for it or what color the finish is. So even if you decide spending double for an incremental increase performance is worthwhile due to your circumstances, it takes only a few dives without proper cleaning (immediately after diving before salt crystals form) or abuse to reduce its performance to the level of more modest gear. That's why I continue to put the extra effort into keeping my modest gear cleaned and tuned up rather than making a larger initial investment.

In addition to your point, if you have your gear serviced my clueless techs, performance will suck even if it's a $ 1500 reg....additionally, I deliberately avoid high-bling regs because they usually don't wear well...those 2nd-stage chrome accent rings, for example, scratch/scuff VERY easily and very soon the 2nd-stages look like crap...look good in the showroom, but cosmetically deteriorate very quickly out in the field.

SCUBAPRO - Deep Down You Want the Best!

bought a HOG/Epic for $165 it is a DS4 clone and works the same. better spending the money elsewhere.

I doubt it.
In Aeris' own words: "...Hollis Industries is the most recent addition to the manufacturing family. Located in Wuxi, China..."
Not that there's anything wrong with off-shoring.
The original post was back to 2006 and it did not mention regulator then. I wonder where do Hollis produce its regs, People Republic of China or Republic of China?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom