Best reel for me?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They claim their blems are cosmetic only, and my experience with the H reel I bought was just that (I think the logo was stamped a bit off centerline on the handle).

And from what I have read, the LM and H reel would both work well to deploy an SMB although they were designed for cave use. Is that true?

And from what I have read, the LM and H reel would both work well to deploy an SMB although they were designed for cave use. Is that true?

Sure.

Deploying an SMB from depth is not that hard--the biggest issue is making sure you don't let loose too much line and get entangled. The next biggest thing--and it is a big thing--is making sure it does not snarl and pull the entire reel (and you) to the surface. That is not a good thing. Thus, a good reel that will not snarl easily is a very nice thing to use under the circumstances.

+1 for the LM reels. I use them for cave and uplines when doing deco. Never a problem.
- Bjorn

Be careful with spring-lock handles (great for caves). If you ease up on your grip or bobble it while shooting a bag, it locks and it is gone.

You have a good chance of grabbing the line with a dropped finger spool or free-wheeling reel. If you are using an upline on a structure you are likely to send the bag up, tie off the line, then cut the reel free. Much easier task with heavier line.

Light Monkey gets my vote! Great reel with awesome customer support.

Don't use this reel. It's junk. If you were to show up with it in any cave or cavern class in N. Florida, your instructor would not let you use it.

But they would let you use a Dive Rite exploding reel?

Anyway, Manta Mini would be a better choice for the OP

Back
Top Bottom