Best S. Florida dive spot for brand new diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LunaBuna

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
There are so many dive spots in South Florida (check out all the dive spots marked on the Navionics chart just in the immediate Boynton area in this screenshot).
What is the best dive for a first timer? boynton.PNG

Blue Heron Bridge?

The currents tend to be rather swift as you make your way up the Florida coast as far as Boyton or West Palm. They can be somewhat challenging for a new diver, although the wreck diving is spectacular and there is lots of marine life on the rocky reefs and wrecks.

I find the reefs in the Fort Lauderdale area to be rather drab and the last time I went they were mostly dead with lots of garbage around. Haven't heard much about diving in Miami.

Head south to the upper Keys. Less current, shallow reefs, easier diving.

Last edited:
In Broward county the most popular boat dives are Copenhagen wreck and nursery reef. Beach dives would be Datura Avenue in Lauderdale by the Sea. Dania beach eurojacks is another good beach dive.

I see you’re in Wilmington, NC, a place known for offshore, often deeper diving in the Atlantic, and you’ve been certified 3 years. Are You still under 25 dives, as per your profile, and have you dove locally?

I’m trying to get s sense of your experience and comfort zone.

Boynton Beach has West facing reefs with a max depth or 60-65 feet, shallower and more forgiving than West Palm or Jupiter. Navigation is easy, north-south reef the entire 3 miles.

In the ocean?

Any of these are great for a first timer. I think my first successful dive as a newly minted diver was on Molasses Reef in Key Largo. I'm pretty sure that's where my profile pic was taken (not the same trip though). Every time I've done molasses it's been with Rainbow Reef. In fact, I'm pretty sick of that site, but there's lots to see and it's easy and shallow. That describes many other sites in Key Largo, too.

Blue Heron Bridge is a great shallow and easy dive.... IF you dive it at the right time and stay in the right boundaries. If you dive at the wrong time it's got crappy vis and strong currents. If you get out of boundaries you get caught by fishermen fishing from the bridge or run over by a boat. Easy to avoid if you hire a guide. Force E and Pura Vida can provide a guide. Or you can just as easily buddy up with an experienced local diver and probably for free.

Any way you go, I'd recommend diving with a guide of some sort until you're a little more comfortable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom