Best semidry wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Drim

New
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello!
I live in São Paulo, Brazil, and most of my diving occurs in waters around 21-23°C, and I am always cold.
Diving gear is extremely expensive here in Brazil, and my boyfriend is going to the US in January, so I thought about asking him to bring me a good semi dry wetsuit.

I have 2 questions for you guys, if you could help me with your wisdom it would be great!

1 - I am considering 4 different semi dry wetsuit models, all of them with good reviews. Considering warmth, which one you think (or know!) is best?
- Mares Evolution Set
- Scubapro Nova Scotia
- Aqualung Iceland
- Aqualung SolAfx

2 - Considering that I won´t be able to try it on before buying, would you trust the manufacturer's fitting charts? What about when there are more then one option that would fit you according to the chart:
Example: I am 168cm tall and weight 70kgs.
According to Aqualung's women fitting chart, size 8L fits 168-175cm and 61-71kg; and size 10 fits 168-175cm and 66-75kgs.
For such an expensive investment and the impossibility of returning it if it doesn´t fit, I am afraid of buying without trying....
Do you guys have any thoughts, comments or experiences on this? :)

Thank you!

I can't comment on sizing, but a friend has the AquaLung SolAfx and she loves it. She dives cold water with it (as cold as 50F and she stays warm. She also has a Farmer Jane she wears under it.

I love my Henderson Aqualock.

You may also want to consider a women's MAKO 5 or 7 mm freedive suit. This suit is cut for women and is very easy to put on when you use the proper suit lube. With no zippers and an attached hood, this is the warmest configuration available. The smooth skin interior keeps water migration to a minimum.

I just ordered the SEAC Masterdry semi-dry suit, hoping it'll extend my diving season around here. Will let you know how it goes.

+1 on the Mako wetsuits.

I have a 3mm and a 5mm.
They are very warm suits compared to the same thickness in a regular, back zip wetsuits.

All the best advice won't be really helpful because you do not know how the suit will actually fit you. If the suit is to tight it doesn't work as well as if the suite is too loose.
Here is my suggestion: Go to a dive shop and try their suits. If you have one that fits you well, remember the brand, type, and size; then order this suit online or have this particular model bought for you.

I own the Nova Scotia and can't complain. I would not buy any exposure protection without fitting. Buying without fitting is generally a costly experience.

Here is my suggestion: Go to a dive shop and try their suits. If you have one that fits you well, remember the brand, type, and size; then order this suit online or have this particular model bought for you.

Great advice!

But, if the OP is that cold in 21C water, I would strongly suggest to consider going to a drysuit. 21 - 23C isn't very cold at all (to me, of course). I use a 3/2 wetsuit in 21C and I'm comfortable. If you're cold in 21C and you go to a drysuit, that suit will probably be comfortable even in any warmer water you're ever in. In other words, you could wear it and be comfortable in any water that requires anything more than just a bathing suit and/or rash guard.

Great advice!

But, if the OP is that cold in 21C water, I would strongly suggest to consider going to a drysuit. 21 - 23C isn't very cold at all (to me, of course). I use a 3/2 wetsuit in 21C and I'm comfortable. If you're cold in 21C and you go to a drysuit, that suit will probably be comfortable even in any warmer water you're ever in. In other words, you could wear it and be comfortable in any water that requires anything more than just a bathing suit and/or rash guard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom