Best signaling devices from the searcher’s point of view - update

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like the leash idea. How long is each leash and what type of cord did you use?

About 6’ between carabiners. It’s 1/4” nylon utility cord for rock climbing that you can buy from REI. You can buy it for whatever length you want. It comes in a big spool.

I tied figure 8 knots over the carabiners eye bolt holes. I can suspend a person in the air with that set up no problem. Very strong nylon cord.

09A7A148-1B6E-4D33-B21C-136F72707273.jpeg
36305D47-E95B-40D1-AB51-C182889E02F0.jpeg

View attachment 450087 View attachment 450086 View attachment 450085 Here are 3 pictures. I think this one is a 3.5 inches by 8 inches. I use a BP/wing, so it will go on my waist strap, just like a light canister would in a DIR setup. The lid is flat on top, also there is a small wire, so I don’t lose the lid when I open it.

There is a bit of extra room, my plans for it are: glow stick, snickers, and maybe a small pouch of drinking water.

I like my PLB1 better. Very small, even with 40m waterproof old Sony camera case (bought it for $10 from eBay) it is smaller than a 500ml bottle water.
C0189B42-6696-4693-BD5B-5A692E76C719.jpeg

I saw one diver posted PLB1 in smaller Custom Diver canister like this, below.

73D18BAD-126F-426C-9F45-496DC3C58F3C.jpeg

A212EA9D-9F7B-481E-8A1D-95E27C9DCB4D.jpeg

I guess, it you don’t have pockets or weight integrated BCD, you can strap the canister on your weight belt, like Batman & Robin. :D

Last edited:
Last edited:
Oops. Forgot to mention that I don’t set MMSI.

Two things I like about having the boat MMSI are, (1) not only it’s good to have it loaded into my MRG, but also, (2) my emergency contact (my brother, Max) can track the boat at all time where she is with Marine Traffic app. So, in the event of I’m lost at sea where the MRG signal is too weak to be received by the boat or any boat in the area, then I’ll launch off SOS via my PLB1. Hopefully Max would get a call from NOAA. He then can track where the boat is via Marine Traffic app and arrange a rescue operation with local SAR authorities.

Do you get my drift?

AD7C4B86-EDB5-4C07-BE12-8151B88AEBDF.jpeg

7CD09CBF-5BA9-40DA-BA6F-299BEB989705.jpeg
C40267CC-BB4A-4CEF-8816-15D2F2381FB4.jpeg
A2CA705A-5BEC-463D-BAED-D095EFB254CE.jpeg

@Dan_T
I’m too lazy to keep re-programming the MRG every time I change dive operators. The general AIS broadcast is good enough for me.

@Dogbowl
I have the Custom Divers canister. My unit has issues. If the canister is closed too tightly, it can be next to impossible to open and there can be slight leaks.

I finally figured out the problem. The first problem is that the threads on the two halves of the cannister are not perfectly aligned. The second problem is that the two halves of the canister do not fit flush when it is closed - there is a slight gap between the two halves on the external surface. When I first started using it, I saw the gap and tried to eliminate it by closing it more tightly which made it near impossible to open. For some reason over tightening also caused the slightly misaligned threads to allow the ingress of small amounts of water.

After I figured out the problems, I started closing the canister to a very slight finger tightness and took the canister diving without the PLB. It is waterproof to 40M and can be easily opened when it’s not closed too tightly. I should be testing my canister to 45m sometime this year, perhaps 50m as well.

@Dan_T
I’m too lazy to keep re-programming the MRG every time I change dive operators. The general AIS broadcast is good enough for me.

@Dogbowl
I have the Custom Divers canister. My unit has issues. If the canister is closed too tightly, it can be next to impossible to open and there can be slight leaks.

I finally figured out the problem. The first problem is that the threads on the two halves of the cannister are not perfectly aligned. The second problem is that the two halves of the canister do not fit flush when it is closed - there is a slight gap between the two halves on the external surface. When I first started using it, I saw the gap and tried to eliminate it by closing it more tightly which made it near impossible to open. For some reason over tightening also caused the slightly misaligned threads to allow the ingress of small amounts of water.

After I figured out the problems, I started closing the canister to a very slight finger tightness and took the canister diving without the PLB. It is waterproof to 40M and can be easily opened when it’s not closed too tightly. I should be testing my canister to 45m sometime this year, perhaps 50m as well.

Do you use silicon grease to help the o-ring to slide in the groove & flatted evenly under compression? I do that all the time prior to going on a dive trip and leave the 2 half apart when not in use to avoid a flat spot on the o-ring from prolonged compression.

I’ve done it to all of my camera cases, including cleaning out the o-ring & grooves, removing excess grease off them prior to storing. I’ve done this routinely in the last 13 years without any leaky case (knock on wood).

Last edited:
@CWK, thanks for your information. You are not the only person I have heard from that has had issues with that canister. That’s a lot of money to pay to have to “fiddle” with it but if you already have it, best to try to make it work. Good luck and report back!

One thing I want to mention about the o-ring. Sorry if you already know this. Other than diameter, sometimes thickness of o-ring material also matters.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom