Best spots in Raja Ampat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nomadic diver

Registered
Reaction score
I'm planning a liveaboard trip to RA in December and want to make sure I get on a boat that goes to the 'best' spots. It's RA, so I know it will all be good, but still...

I prefer the week long liveaboards to the 10+ day ones for various reasons, but I worry the 6/7 day boats may not go to some of the best spots. I see the 6/7 day dive boat itineraries say 'central RA' and some say 'North' or 'South'. Is one better than other areas? Am I missing out if I don't get to see other spots in RA that a 10+ day boat goes to? I've read something about Misool.

Thanks for any insight.

You can’t go wrong with any of them. I’ve been to RA south (Misool), Central (Dampier Strait), West (Fam) & North (Wayag) about 6 times from 2010 to 2017. They are all amazing dive sites. If you like to see soft coral, then Misool is better. For Oceanic Manta, go to Magic Mountain in Misool. For hard coral, go to Melissa’s Garden in Fam. If you want to see schooling fish & wobbegong then, Dampier Strait is better. If you like to see beautiful top site, then hike up Penemu in Fam & Wayag. My last trip in November 2017, I like the Dampier Strait for the schooling fish, better than Misool, Nov 20 - Dec 2, 2017 Ambon - Sorong Crossing Trip Report I’ll be back to RA in December 2019 for Misool, Fam & Dampier Strait.

Last edited:
We went to RA this last Dec/Jan and Melissa's Garden at Fam was the most incredible site I've ever dived. Abroek and Cape Kri are incredible too. Before you book a liveaboard, check out Papua Explorers. They are land based, but you have some of the best dive sites in the world very close by. I highly recommend!

Last edited:
In 2015 I spent a few days in Misool finishing up a crossing trip. Then another 11 days covering South-Central-North.
The Misool area was by far my favorite. The soft coral is on steriods, the schools of fish large and small were diverse and massive, and Oceanic Manta were icing on a most delicious cake. The Vis was the lowest in Misool but the fish life was the most dense there.
That said, Vis changes, and fish life does too. The hard coral in the North and Central was spectacular, but not as much fish density in the North compared to Central.

Anywhere in RA is hard to beat but if I had a choice I would choose a LOB that covered it all or did South and Central.

I agree with Dan said above, i.e. make sure you got to Misool and Melissa's Garden.
I would also recommend Dampier Straits and specifically Kape Cri and Blue Magic; the later was one of the best sites I visited in Raja Ampat. But make sure you visited first thing in the morning away form the crowd if you can to enjoy it most. Also, I had some excellent night dives around Gam.
So, if you are doing this on a 7 day liveaboard maybe South/Central would be the best option.

Just got back from Raja Ampat and everyone's advice is spot on! One thing is that Misool, vs north and central, had the best vis when I went but things can change depending on the weather stirring up the vis. Misool and Melissa's Garden get my votes for best but there are so many other good sites to dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom