Best technical BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yep. Save your money and save your sanity. Just get a BP&W and move on with your life.

Those tech bc's are designed to appeal to the consumer. They have to add a bunch of padding, pockets and other gack to justify the price.

...Or in theTechnical Diving[/URL] section.

I have done quite a bit of reading on the topic of BCD's and thinking that I too may decide to get into Tech diving one day is pushing me to start with a BP/W setup from Deep Sea Supply[/URL]. I have read so many positive reviews about Tobins equipment and read countless posts that he's made on this site helping people that I, anyway, know that is the direction that I'm going to be going.

However, if you decide on the Transpak route then I wish you the best of luck. It is a sharp looking outfit.

Steve
Thanks Steve,

I'm checking Deep Sea Supply and it looks like a decent site and a good kit configuration tool and fair prices. I'll know by 2:00 am tomorrow morning (Tuesday, Canberra, Australia time = 10:00 am Monday, Florida, USA) whether my price for a Transpac is accepted or rejected. I rejected I will go BP/W (I knew I should have checked this forum sooner).

Cheers,
Mick

Hi Charlie,

Maybe I need a frontal lobotomy and a bottle in front of me after trying to strike a deal for a Transpac without checking for responses to my gear question.

I have just come back from a cave diving trip in South Australia where I used a borrowed Zeagle and soft bands with 2 x 100 cuft air but had difficulty in perfecting buoyancy (I blame myself - not Zeagle).

I may still be able to on-sell a brand new Transpac kit and buy BP/W.

Thanks,
Mick

In the past there were a couple crossover techncial BCD's. The Genesis Recon for example, was not bad in terms of stability if you added the optional plate kit, but it was overly bulky, overly complex and lacked flexibility in terms of changing the wing, etc. In the end it was also a lot more expensive than a BP, wing and harness that was far more capable, adjustable, and streamlined.

That is basically why the BP wing has become the standard for technical diving.
Another vote for BP/W ... I'm looking very red faced at the moment : )

Another crossover BC is the Zeagle Ranger. The newer model is designed in a modular configuration that allows for a "custom fit," the ability to adapt to both singles and doubles with minimal effort, and a modular wing to allow for different wings configurations (and he addition of a backplate for stability/weight). I have not dove one with doubles, but as a singles rig it is very nice and comfortable. I have never heard a single complaint from an owner of one.

As aquamaster said, compared to a BP/W is is bulky and does not follow the simplistic/minimalist approach of tech diving
Sounds like the one I used - some good features and other features I needed a few more dives to get used to. Having a dedicated cave diving kit and a second open water kit seems to eb the answer. Thanks, Mick

I have owned the Zeagle Brigade bc for approx. 130 dives. I love it. It is a back wing bc. Great freedom of movement. Has two nice sized pockets. I like the integreated pockets front and rear. Two tanks bands, feels very solid. I am now moving into a different phaze of diving. I think, now in hind sight it would have been beneficial for me to just start off with a bp/w. The problem was I felt you needed some kind of "technical skill" to use them. The lds I was trying to rig up with pooped all over bp/w and the tec guys attitudes as he put it. I did not go to a tec store because I didn't want to punch out a "tec guy" for making me feel like an idiot. Later in my dive experiences I start meeting the tec guys and only half are jerks, just like me. But I really noticed that it did not take any more skill to dive with a bp\w as with my Zeagle. So now this is my so called advice, if you are even remotely thinking of a tec type set up just go straight to a bp/w. If you do not want to go that way, I will sell my Zeagle Brigade to you. Lots of bling holders on it youll love. Also I'm in Canada, your dollar crushes mine. Then I can buy a bp/w. Good hunting to you. kevin
Thanks Kevin,

I am encouraged by your story - sounds like to you need to do more shark diving with those buddies who annoy you. I'll know by 10:00 am EST Monday (or soon thereafter) whether I have blown my budget for a little while. I'll let you know if I find anyone chasing a Zeagle Brigade.

Cheers,
Mick

Just to add another "get a bp/w and be done with it" vote...It is the standard for technical diving (and IMO better and more comfortable than the "hybrids" once you get it set up properly)...

Hey m1ck,
I just started using Apecks WTX this last season. I added the ss plate also. It can easily be adapted with the ss or the aluminium plate or without a plate. As I think about it, what I bought could have been simplified by a harness and bp. Although I do like my new rig. It has a removeable wing so I can interchange it. Plenty of d-rings. It is my first bp/wing, I am enjoying it. It will still take some learning on whatever you secide to get use to it's characteristics.
Joe
Thanks Sharbait - looks like I am going to end up with three rigs - an open water, a Transpac and a proper BP/W. I should be free of mortgage by the time I'm a 125 : )

If you're interested in technical diving just go to a proper backplate and wing and be done with it. The vast majority of technical divers are using a backplate (stainless steel or aluminum), simple harness with D-rings and a wing (or two or three...) sized appropriately for your exposure protection and tank setup.
BP/W is coming in loud and clear now - thanks Jim

Just to add another "get a bp/w and be done with it" vote...It is the standard for technical diving (and IMO better and more comfortable than the "hybrids" once you get it set up properly)...
BP/W ... almost unanimous - in hindsight, maybe the advice received from my LDS could have echoed more experience ... yet, I had less ... though I should be OK by the time I make the Yucatan peninsula : )

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom