Question Best time for DM?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
P

Pbdiver84

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am a newer diver considering going for my DM and AI. I’ve encountered a lot of derision around zero to hero paths, and wanted to get the board’s opinion on if I’m going too fast.

About me: got my OW partially through an adaptive program in early 2023, then fell into helping with an adaptive diving program. 4 trips and a lot of focused practice on buoyancy as well as rescue and dive buddy certification. On my solo trips, I’ve naturally helped newer divers out and often been the only non same ocean diver besides the DM (ex teacher). For personal reasons, I had picked up all the DM prereqs except official Night certification, which I did in conjunction with an OW cert trip from my LDS.

My above water skills and connection with newer divers or potential adaptive divers are strong… my in water skills are adequate. I’m currently a non-pro dive buddy, but starting as a DMC at my LDS would get me officially into the pro/shop side of things for working with new divers. I’m currently at 70ish dives, spread around the Caribbean and SoCal.

Would this be zero to hero, or would i be an enthusiastic diver earning certs and paying it forward?

Yes, given how long you have been diving and the amount of real in-water experience that time has afforded you, this would be akin to a zero to hero type program.

As a DM, I would generally advise against becoming a DM. The overall cost of DM certification, anual professional dues, and the spiraling cost of professional liability insurance makes it near impossible to see much if any financial return on investment. The fact that DM training has very little to nothing with regards improving how you personally dive means there is very little return on the investment from that aspect as well. There are few if any professional deals, and a recent phone conversation with PADI about professional membership renewal had their rep directly acknowlege the overall lack of incentive to continue paying them dues unless one was significantly gainfully employed as a DM, assistant instructor, or instructor, and making enough to cover the expenses highlighted above.

Seriously, consider saving your time and money by avoiding this path altogether, and instead use the time and funds to just dive more...take a trip to a "bucket list" destination and blow some bubbles with the fish.

-Z

Yes, given how long you have been diving and the amount of real in-water experience that time has afforded you, this would be akin to a zero to hero type program.

As a DM, I would generally advise against becoming a DM. The overall cost of DM certification, anual professional dues, and the spiraling cost of professional liability insurance makes it near impossible to see much if any financial return on investment. The fact that DM training has very little to nothing with regards improving how you personally dive means there is very little return on the investment from that aspect as well. There are few if any professional deals, and a recent phone conversation with PADI about professional membership renewal had their rep directly acknowlege the overall lack of incentive to continue paying them dues unless one was significantly gainfully employed as a DM, assistant instructor, or instructor, and making enough to cover the expenses highlighted above.

Seriously, consider saving your time and money by avoiding this path altogether, and instead use the time and funds to just dive more...take a trip to a "bucket list" destination and blow some bubbles with the fish.

-Z
Well, seeing as how money, polishing my personal dive skills, or deals are not major considerations I’m okay with that. Ditto with rushing through DMC/DMT to graduation.

Why not just be an enthusiastic dive club member, leading dives, etc.. A lot cheaper (which you said you do not care) and less time wasted (I would think you do care) to do what I interpret what you want to do.

Not really sure what you are saying… there’s no dive club outside my LDS, very limited local diving (cert dives are a state over), and virtually all of the regulars in the dive community are AI or working on it

Well, seeing as how money, polishing my personal dive skills, or deals are not major considerations I’m okay with that. Ditto with rushing through DMC/DMT to graduation.

Then why do you give a sh!t what anyone thinks about your plan and whether it is zero to hero or not. I guess I misinterpreted your intent by the nature of what you asked and the fact that you posted it. Just go do you and be content in the world.

Best of luck!

-Z

… my in water skills are adequate.
Leaving aside the reasons to or not to become a DM, which has been covered in this thread as well as many others, your statement above signals to me that you aren’t ready yet. “Adequate” is not a ringing endorsement for a dive pro. And DM training is not intended to make a person a great diver. It’s not a remedial program.

Get a few hundred o/w dives of various kinds [warm water, cold water, salt/fresh] over the next few years and see if you enjoy teaching others about the types of diving you engage in before making the decision on DM. Remember, a DM, AI or Instructor is first and foremost an educator. It took me 32 years of diving in all sorts of environments before I felt the need to teach scuba, granted I'm a slow learner
:wink:. Too many folks rush into the DM/IA/Inst. role when they really wanted to learn other diving techniques [tech/cave/CCR]. Slow and steady wins the race.

I’ve been diving for around 45 years and teaching for around 10. I teach because I like teaching. One might reasonably say that I have a full time job to support my teaching job. My suggestion is just to be realistic in your expectations. You’re unlikely to get rich teaching scuba. However, if it’s what gets you excited every day, go for it and engineer the career you want.

In my mind, “zero to hero” is more a mindset issue than a developmental path issue. Know yourself and be honest about your skills and knowledge. Don’t blow smoke and pretend. Own it if you don’t know something, and then take the initiative to learn it. I don’t care how long you have been diving or how many days of bottom time you have accumulated, you don’t know everything and you can still get better.

Good luck and have fun diving.

OP,

Why did you give a thumbs down to Zef's thoughtful and thorough response?

It seems you are only looking for validation.

Instead of a 9th place trophy, I'll give it to you straight: no, you're not good enough or experienced enough to be a DM.

If anyone certifies you as a DM, its a shameless money grab.

You have no business leading dives or teaching with only 70 dives under your belt and merely "adequate" skills.

Don't feed your ego.

Why not just enjoy diving?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom