Best time of year, and other questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fjpatrum

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm in the planning stages of a trip for next year. The cost, variety of diving, and possibility of non-diving activities seems to be pushing Coz to the top of our list of destinations.

I know most of these questions have been answered somewhere, I just haven't been able to narrow down my search results well enough yet, so I'm going the lazy route.

What are the best times of year? Do they have a real "storm" season or cold weather season of any kind?

We're hoping to go over to isla mujere for a whale shark snorkel so we may try to plan around the best times for that. We were thinking mid February to mid March but it seems like that may make whale shark sightings far less likely. Is that accurate? Is it worth planning our schedule around this activity or better to plan around the actual diving? Sounds like swimming with the sharks is a serious workout both physically and logistically.

What are the good non-diving activities around Coz (even a day trip using ferries and such)?

Other than whale sharks are there any "must do" activities in the general area?

You will not see ANY whale sharks in Feb or March as their season is summer. But the spotted eagle rays MIGHT still be schooling up north about that time. Hurricane season runs summer to fall. But it's been quite a few years since there has been any significant hurricane. Norte season runs November-March or so but they only last a day or two; I am living in Coz over the winter and I barely notice them. The temps in winter are cooler than summer but it still beats spending another winter in Saskatchewan. May is a nice month to visit and I have been down in June a few times.

Last year we visited a number of the archeological ruins on the mainland, using Merida and Valladolid as our bases and those were very interesting. But you would need more time than a day trip. I wasn't wild about cenote diving, but that is something you might want to do on the mainland if for no other reason than to cross it off your bucket list. On the island, you might look into spending a day at a beach club. I don't know what all goes on for daytime activities at Buccanos (which is up north) but it looks like they have a bunch of things to do, catering mainly to cruise ship passengers. I have only been there for supper (which was outstanding) Here's a link http://www.buccanos.com/Buccanos-Bar-Grill.htm

When not diving, I just lay around (sometimes in the sun and sometimes in the shade) doing needlework and listening to music. It's a tough life....

Last edited:
BEST is such a personal question. What is "best" to one person is not to another.

Whale shark season is June-July-Aug. That is the only time you are guaranteed to see them, and that boats are running up there to even look, as far as I know.

Hurricane season is June-Nov... but as others will tell you, that means nothing as far as storms. You can get bad weather, rain and wind, any time of year. The hurricane season just means a named storm may come through... and a big emphasis on MAY come through. It can ruin your trip, or you may have perfect weather every day. No guarantees.

I have been to Cozumel, March-Apr-May-June-July-Aug, and worst weather we ever had was 2 days in March when it was windy and seas were bumpy so getting back on the boat was tough. The trip we did the first week of Aug had a rain shower every day, and one dive we had haloclines down at 60' depth (pools of fresh water that was 10+ degrees colder and blurry). A couple of dives we came up to rain which made it uncomfortable on the boatride back to resort. It is definitely hot during June-Aug, muggy, so the afternoon rain showers for 10-15 minutes cooled it down quite a bit. We have never been there when diving was canceled due to weather.

Coldest weather is Dec-Jan when they can have "el norte" winds, chilly weather, and cancel diving due to rough seas.

robin

I personally prefer mid August to Mid September. The water is the warmest and kids are back at school.

We've been to Coz in March, April, and November. In April and November we lost one day of diving because of a norte. For me, because I'm a wimp, I need to make sure to bring a warm enough wetsuit (3mm or 5mm) and my fleece-lined boat coat if the weather is a bit on the cool side. I also like to have a dry wetsuit if I'm doing day dives and a night dive on the same date. I definitely needed my boat coat in November because the rides to and from the dive sites were a bit chilly for my taste. In April I wore it a few times, but not as many as in November. I can't remember much about the March trip because that took place many years ago.

When we are in Coz we don't do day trips to the mainland since we've been on the mainland multiple times. However, diving the cenotes was fun when we did that many years ago, and we'd do it again. On Coz, we like to walk into town everyday to do things like eat, shop, go to the museum, go to retail dive shops, etc. Sometimes we wander down to the cruise ship village shops but only when there aren't seven ships in port....too many people. We really enjoy just sitting on our balcony reading and watching boats go by. But the main reason we are in Coz is to dive, dive, dive!

I really don't think there's a "bad" time to be in Coz. Because I live in a state where it's hot, hot, hot in the summer (and humid during monsoon season), the summer months in Coz wouldn't bother me. The diving outweighs the discomfort of the weather....IMHO.

Have a great time when you go to Cozumel!

Have a great time in Cozumel. Definitely easy to get to from the DC area.

Have been in Cozumel in March, April and July (and going again in early September!). In march the ports were closed a couple of days due to a Norte and I wish I had brought more warm clothing with me! Definitely needed long pants and a sweater in the evenings. April was a bit warmer and July was great. Had a few days of rain but the rest was hot and sunny and a few eagle rays were still around :). Currents were stronger for half of the week I was there though because of rains earlier in the week.

If you want to go snorkel with whale sharks then July or August would be best. If youre comfortable in the water with fins you can keep up to them, but most people who go seem to be non divers and not so wonderful swimmers! They still enjoyed themselves but being a diver is a definite asset for that excursion even though youre on the surface of the water.

There's lots to do on the mainland, but like robint said its all a matter of preference. I did a zip line/atv excursion on the mainland and had a great time (although my sister did roll her atv and got a bit banged up but they took care of her VERY well!). Cenotes, the ruins etc etc etc. On the island there's lots of shopping, restaurants etc and its very safe to walk around including at night. Sunday night in the square there's always things going on.

Once you dive in coz once, you'll be hooked. I fell in love with coz the minute I was under water there! Enjoy your trip!

I've been going to Cozumel at least once a year, many time 2 or even three times a year, since 1990. I've been there in January, March, April, June, July, August, and December (and maybe once in November, but my memory of that trip is vague). If doing the Whale Shark excursion is important, you are limited to June through August, as that is the Whale Shark season. be aware that it is an all-day trip, and physically exhausting (read some of the threads here on the Whale Shark trip), but very worthwhile. Cozumel is hot and muggy in Summer, with frequent rains; most storms are fairly short, and the cooling relief is welcome, but you do run the risk of a real downpour, and July is the beginning of Hurricane season. The risk of a hurricane hitting Cozumel is small, but if it does happen it can ruin your whole vacation. For me, best times in Cozumel for diving is either March or December. It is not so hot that you are uncomfortable when you are out of the water, and water temps are still in the 78-80 degree range - I'm plenty warm enough with a 1mm skin to do multiple days of diving.

If you come during Feb/ March you could be running into Carnival. The main part of Carnival next year is the first few days in March, but activities will be going on for the weeks leading up to it. I find Carnival very fun, but hotels and dive ops do book up early. Carnival is also high season so lodging prices and flights are usually the most expensive. As MMM said the Eagle Rays should still be around and they are majestic to watch glide by. When ever you do visit, make sure to rent a car or hire a taxi and enjoy the east side of the island.

Last edited:
Also, if you are planning any trips to the ruins, it is FREAKING HOT in the jungle and very buggy, from Apr-Oct in particular. Our first time there we went in June, and Coba was like a sweatbox. A few years ago we did Chichen Itza in March. We spent the night closeby and got there when they opened at 9am, done around 11am when all the buses arrived. It was already sweltering hot! Be sure to take lots of cash and water bottles.
Ditto for the cenotes.... we did the cenotes on the same trip as Chichen Itza, in March. Our dive guide told us that was about the end of the tolerable weather around the cenotes. It starts getting steamy hot and buggy around then. Keep all that in mind!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom