Best time to plan a trip to Maui?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DPJ

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
We are planning a trip to Maui in the Fall. We have not decided on the date yet, but some time between September and December. What is the best time for diving? Is there much variation in water tempature, visibility and sea conditions over that period?

We go to Maui every year (to our timeshare) and have gone at various times throughout the year. I can frankly say that we never notice much of a difference other than a couple of degrees warmer or colder. Winter we find water temps to be around 74 and the air in the lower 80's. Summer gives us water temps of about 76 and air in the mid to upper 80's. Fall and spring are somewhere in between. Rainy time starts in late December and goes through early February, though we've had tropical showers just about everytime we've been there. Viz and seas have been pretty consistent everytime we've gone too.

Best times in fall for fewer people would be mid-September through October, and between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

October - mid December except for the week of Halloween and the week of Thanksgiving tend to be slow tourist season over here - so you can often get good deals on airfare, rooms, etc..

As far as diving "normally" our rainy season is Jan-Feb. However storms can happen anytime and wreck the vis. The Water Temp started cooling off about late Late October - all Summer it had been 84, it has now dropped to 77.

Visability off-shore at spots like Molokini are nearly always great, while shore dives vary a lot depending on weather.

Hope that helps . . .
Aloha, Tim

i went to maui at halloween last year, and i didn't thkn the place was crowded...weather was perfect, and we got to see the lahaina madness on halloween night...the water temp for all my dives was 80/81...

kidspot is right, Molokini was great!!

Anytime I'm there it's the best time to be there.

Why? Because the fun level of the entire island is raised!!!! :)

We are going to Maui in May and I am going to book our dives with Ed Robinson.

SoCalOffshore:
That is when we'll be there.

Of course it's B&B for me :)

SoCalOffshore:

you won't regret that decision for a minute, they are one super dive operator, you'll love every minute...

Back
Top Bottom