Best trips to log dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually you can fly there in a day not two.

Yeah, depends on where you are in US. From NE or Mid-West it can easily take the best part of a day to get to LA. If you're already in LA, OTOH...

Well, most of my new gear is on the way. My wife is laughing at me since I've already picked up a couple of BCs after talking about this for a week.
(new regs and comps are on the way too.)

Back to my trip planning, It turns out that we have direct flights from Denver to NAS on Saturdays, unfortunately it gets there 3 hours too late to make it to Blackbeards.

If I have to do connecting flights, I'm thinking about getting there 2-3 days early and staying on the island. Less chance of my gear bag going missing and I'd have time to correct any issues. (One time I drove two hours into the mountains and realized when I got there that I'd left my Bow in the driveway when I was packing the car. Yes, my wife also laughed at me for that one.)

If I have a couple of days in Nassau, are there any day trip dives I should hit up? I'm still researching on my own but I love the collective knowledge of scubaboard!

If I have a couple of days in Nassau, are there any day trip dives I should hit up? I'm still researching on my own but I love the collective knowledge of scubaboard!

Personally I enjoy the blue hole near Nassau, because of the times I've been able to look up a big school of circling sharks. I've only dove it from LoBs, so not sure how long of a boat ride it is. Of course if you are diving Blackbeards from Nassau they will probably stop there.

Well, most of my new gear is on the way. My wife is laughing at me since I've already picked up a couple of BCs after talking about this for a week.
(new regs and comps are on the way too.)

Back to my trip planning, It turns out that we have direct flights from Denver to NAS on Saturdays, unfortunately it gets there 3 hours too late to make it to Blackbeards.

If I have to do connecting flights, I'm thinking about getting there 2-3 days early and staying on the island. Less chance of my gear bag going missing and I'd have time to correct any issues. (One time I drove two hours into the mountains and realized when I got there that I'd left my Bow in the driveway when I was packing the car. Yes, my wife also laughed at me for that one.)

Another option would be to connect through Fort Lauderdale. Southwest has daily morning flights from FLL to NAS that will get you there in time. Depending on your schedule you could do a day of diving down in Largo or up in Palm Beach/Jupiter before or after.

I did Blackbeards this past January with my girlfriend and loved it! It's a great value and the "camping at sea" aspect is right in my wheel house. If you don't mind being salty, living outside for a week, eating great food, and making friends then it's the best value in the live aboard industry. We went during a particularly crappy weather window and still got 19 dives in.

Another great option is Curacao (along with Bonaire). I just got back from Curacao on Sunday. We did 18 dives over 6 days and averaged 60+ minutes a dive (18 hours+ total dive time). It's certainly possible to do more in a week depending on where you are staying and what sites you want to dive. We were all over the island so 3/day was a good number for us.

Cost wise, Curacao can be done relatively inexpensively as an independent diver (non-guided). With flights, our total trip cost was about $1400pp which is comparable to a Blackbeards trip if you add flight costs, tip, and airport transfers. I'm happy to share some Curacao info if you're interested.

My wife and I went on a Blackbeards cruise in the mid 80s and had a great time!

In the wake of the Corona Virus and if you are OK to stay in the states, consider a trip to the Florida Keys. Fly to Fort Lauderdale or Miami and rent a car for a 45 to 90 minute drive. Horizon Divers, a good operation, in Key Largo has a 10 trip package (20 dives) for $600. Other shops probably have similar deals. In Key largo, you could dive reefs from 10 to 80 feet and wrecks from 20 to 130 feet - a lot of variety.

Depending on our schedule, you could take advantage of more dives in the Fort Lauderdale, Pompano, Palm Beach, and Jupiter areas.

Keep us posted.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom