Best trips to log dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, when I did the Blackbeard cruise (looking back at my log), I did 18 dives.

I skipped the shark-feeding dive because I am morally opposed to that. And our last dive got blown out*. Otherwise, I could have gotten in 20 dives.

My total dive time was 1017 minutes, which works out to an average of 56.5 minutes per dive. 3 of those were deeper than 100 feet (just barely) and 1 was 95 feet. Even all those dives were more than 40 minutes.

I had 4 dives that were more than 70 minutes, with a longest of 82 minutes.

I can see that the main reason my per-dive average was so low was that we did a dive on the Smuggler's Plane and I only did 37 minutes on that. It was shallow and there really just was not much to see. The plane wreckage is not that big. And we did the Washing Machine. It's more of a ride than a dive. That was also only 37 minutes.

If there are Caribbean liveaboards that limit dive time to some arbitrary number, I would avoid booking with them.

* Generally, dives don't get blown out. The boat captain watches the weather and simply takes the boat to where the weather is good. But, on the last day, the only real option for the last dive site is one that is pretty close to the harbor where the boat docks. So, for that one, if the weather is bad, there's not really an option to go somewhere else, as the boat has a schedule to keep.

Be aware both Aggressor Fleet and Explorer Ventures Fleet run big sales and specials from time to time. I was blessed to dive Belize, the Caymans and Turks & Caicos via live-aboards and never paid near 'list.' You may need to schedule your trip to accommodate when a sale is good for, but check it out.

The Juliet has an excellent reputation on this forum and is a bit more expensive than Blackbeards with a similar dive count but from what I'm told is less 'camp-like' and can hit some nice dive sites (I don't see that discussed in detail; an old post gave me the impression choicer sites might be a selling point, but you may want to research that). They don't only do the Bahamas; they also do St. Croix at times.

I should mention, if you decide topside matters, too, there are land-based destinations where you can get 4 boat dives/day - as I did at Key Largo and St. Croix - and with St. Croix you could add a little shore diving. Curacao would be good for a mixed boat/shore trip.

Whatever you do, please post a trip report when you get back and let us know how it went.

As you can see, when you leave out info, some people around here will automatically assume the worst.

It sounds like you have a lot of good experience already. Way better than many Divemaster candidates when they start out.

As for taking your wife on a Blackbead cruise, just be aware that it's very much like going camping. Sharing a big tent with a bunch of other people. They do have a small number of berths that are wide enough for you to share, if you want. There was one family on the cruise I did, with the husband, wife, and son all sharing one compartment that had a single and a double in it.

If you would rather go on a similar liveaboard that is a little more "couples friendly", the company that runs the Blackbeard cruises is AllstarLiveaboards.com. They run the Cat Ppalu out of the same marina. I think it's about $700 per person more than a Blackbeard cruise. Otherwise, I think it's the same basic itinerary.

That is just FYI. I have not done the Cat Ppalu. I went on the Blackbeard cruise with a few other people from my local shop, so I knew about half the people on the boat. Everyone was really nice.

If you go on Blackbeards with your wife do NOT agree to share a double bunk! You will be jammed together on a too small shelf in the galley! We did a Blackbeards cruise when we were young and it was great but never again. I like a private cabin with an ensuite bathroom and I'm guessing that your wife will like the same thing.

If you go on Blackbeards with your wife do NOT agree to share a double bunk! You will be jammed together on a too small shelf in the galley! We did a Blackbeards cruise when we were young and it was great but never again. I like a private cabin with an ensuite bathroom and I'm guessing that your wife will like the same thing.

There are doubles forward, too. Not just in the galley.

There are doubles forward, too. Not just in the galley.

They will still be awfully tight for 2 people. I have nothing against Blackbeards. They are exactly as described and they are an excellent bargain. You get to do a lot of diving at a cheap price and you will see sharks. We had a great time on our BBs cruise but afterwards I decided that I really do like a little more room and privacy - even if it costs more.

Hey folks,
I'm looking for suggestions on great trips to log lots of dives! I've been diving since 2003 but I need to rebuild my logbook if I'm going to move forward in my cert plans. I'm living in Colorado these days, so I expect to travel a bit. (I know, bad time to travel now but not bad for planning!) Also, you know, more diving is clearly required.

So far, it seems like the best value is in the live aboard trips. 25+ dives in a week would rack them up quickly.

Any suggestions for other options? Currently pondering going back to hawaii, belize or BVI since I'm familiar with the areas.

I do a lot of diving in Asia. Philippines Indonesia and you can often do 3 - 4 dives a day but from shore. No need to stay on a live aboard. Also a lot of dives cost less then US$20 including equipment rental. Great diving, cheap countries to vacation in. Lot's a fantastic marine life.

DIVE TIMES.jpg

I do a lot of diving in Asia. Philippines Indonesia and you can often do 3 - 4 dives a day but from shore. No need to stay on a live aboard. Also a lot of dives cost less then US$20 including equipment rental. Great diving, cheap countries to vacation in. Lot's a fantastic marine life.

From US it's 2(+?) days to get there, 3 (same + the no-fly day) days to get back, 10-12 hours time difference to make sure you're jet-lagged all the time. Well worth it if you can swing 2+ weeks vacation but if you only have 10 work days -- not so much.

From US it's 2(+?) days to get there, 3 (same + the no-fly day) days to get back, 10-12 hours time difference to make sure you're jet-lagged all the time. Well worth it if you can swing 2+ weeks vacation but if you only have 10 work days -- not so much.

Actually you can fly there in a day not two. Just you need to consider time zone changes. Yes 10 days in total is not a lot.
I usually plan 10 - 12 diving days plus travel time. Last year I did 14 weeks on vacation. This year will be around around 10 weeks so but one 3 week trip already done as not for diving.

Going to Bali again next in 10 days. I try to get in around 150 - 200 dives a year

Did 60 dives in a little over two weeks in the Philippines (Anilao and Sabang)

Back
Top Bottom