Best U.S. Cell Carrier in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Verizon works well on the island. And if you have the middle tier "Unlimited" plan, calling, texting, and up to 500MB per a day are included. The only thing not included is mobile hotspot.

As far as what I use it for, often it is the only internet I have while I am in COZ as the resort I like to stay at charges $80 a week for internet. Also if I need to go somewhere off the beaten path (like Cozumel Scuba Repair the last time I was there), it is often easier to show the driver where it is on the map as not all of them have smartphones to just look it up.

I'm in the AT&T camp as far as saying most of their plans include "free" talk and text to and within Mexico and Canada. Don't think you have to do anything other than check and make sure it is included in your plan. I used my iPhone 6 in PDC and Coz without any problem in late 2016 and know my plan still has the feature.

Not trying to sell anyone on AT&T, because I haven't personally used another company in years, but do know you shouldn't be paying extra in Mexico for talk/text. I think that's true of all of the major companies now.

Verizon works well on the island. And if you have the middle tier "Unlimited" plan, calling, texting, and up to 500MB per a day are included. The only thing not included is mobile hotspot.
I'm confused again, but then I get confused a lot. You're referencing the Beyond Unlimited plan @ $50/month? We're on the older Go Unlimited plan @ $40/month, unlimited data while in Mexico, and mobile hotspot is included.

I'm confused again, but then I get confused a lot. You're referencing the Beyond Unlimited plan @ $50/month? We're on the older Go Unlimited plan @ $40/month, unlimited data while in Mexico, and mobile hotspot is included.

Well technically the data is unlimited, it just becomes very slow after the 500MB. But I see Verizon changed their plans again, and now it is included with all their "Unlimited" plans. But we are on the Beyond Unlimited Plan. The last time I tried to turn on my hotspot in Mexico it gave me a warning that there would be an additional charge.

Well technically the data is unlimited, it just becomes very slow after the 500MB. But I see Verizon changed their plans again, and now it is included with all their "Unlimited" plans. But we are on the Beyond Unlimited Plan. The last time I tried to turn on my hotspot in Mexico it gave me a warning that there would be an additional charge.
Really?! I used mobile hotspot there one day last February when the hotel wifi was down, and it did slow down after I hit my daily limit - but no extra charges.

I have no idea as to whether my phone data may have slowed after 500mb/day. I didn't use it so much I don't think, but then I did not track my usage.

Our AT&T phones literally work better in Cozumel than they do in my office in Downtown OKC or my House 20 miles SW of OKC. Our plan has free phone service in Mexico but Data may be limited somewhat. I don't know that I have exceeded those data limits. We usually find Wifi though but I have used my phone as a hot spot for work related emails that were critical to go through.

Maybe check with AT&T to see if there is another plan that would work better. I think we are on an unlimited calls and data on 4 phones, bundled with Direct TV. Coverage has always been acceptable in Mexico, even on the ferry. I seem to remember it working at Punta Sur as well. Literally, I have better coverage in Mexico than I do sitting in my office or living room. I think we had to call them and let them know we were going to Mexico to have the Mexico plan added, but I don't think there was a cost.

Good luck, safe travels, grab a Huts Burger for me!!

Jay

Gotta agree with Jay above AT&T has been our service for years.
Until I retired last May I ran my business via phone, text & data from Cozumel while on vacations.
Never had any issues and no extra charges.
Maybe not the cheapest but works for me.

Really?! I used mobile hotspot there one day last February when the hotel wifi was down, and it did slow down after I hit my daily limit - but no extra charges.

I have no idea as to whether my phone data may have slowed after 500mb/day. I didn't use it so much I don't think, but then I did not track my usage.

Really. I didn't test it because I figured "Maybe I don't really need to send that email."

Really. I didn't test it because I figured "Maybe I don't really need to send that email."
Oh, the charge was probably real if you had. You need to have a talk with your provider.

I just had my annual call to AT&T over my home phone and internet. I have an annual reminder on my iphone calendar, right before one year discount ends, threatening to quit if they don't find me a better rate.
Done!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom