Best U.S. Location to Live for Scuba??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

East Central Florida....easy drive to the springs, Marinneland, good beach diving in the summer, close to West Palm and the Keys...Bahamas are 20 mins away by air

Joe

Panama City is great. Warm water, lots of wrecks, artificial reefs a few natural reefs and tons of spearfishing and lobsters. Also close to several springs and caves if you are into cave diving

benncool once bubbled...
I don't know what you do for a living but Albany NY is slated to be the Silicon Valley of the East. The State of NY and some Universities have teamed up with Symiteck (SP) to do some major expansion.

Albany has a low crime rate. 150 miles from NYC and diving in New England. It is a very old city with a lot of history, fine museums and nice people.

One thing the Capital Region doesn't have is active divers.

richhermes once bubbled...
Snow sucks!

We have some awesome spearfishing on the GulfCoast of Florida and not near the amount of crazies as South Florida.

GO BUCS!

HEY We ain't crazy down here, you're just jealous cause we have easy access to the only coral reef in the US. And I am 8 miles plus 100 yard swim away from it!

Really tho, you guys up in Tampa have as many crazies as we do, Miami just gets mentioned more. (Kind of like when I was growing up in NW PA, got a lot of snow, but Bufffalo made the news beccause it was a bigger town)

Bencool- There is a season for lobster. Mini season starts next week, with the main season opening up in Aug.

Go Fins!

jonnythan once bubbled...

One thing the Capital Region doesn't have is active divers.

Hey there "Uncle Sam". I just noticed that you are from Troy.
Are you going to stay in the area when you graduate from RPI?

Am I correct about having to have a license for taking lobster?
How much does it cost? What and when are the seasons for lobster? And do you have any melted butter?

jwnca once bubbled...
This forum seemed the most appropriate. I was looking for some thoughts as to the best United States city for scuba diving.

My thoughts are to go beyond just diving, but take things into consideration as to cost of living, job availability, schools, climate, and maybe general location to other aspects of life such as snow skiing in the winter, etc.....

re: all the above, it ain't Saint Louis

"Am I correct about having to have a license for taking lobster?"

Yes, at least in Florida you need a salt water fishing license with a crawfish stamp.

"How much does it cost?

I'm not sure, but it's probably higher for non residents.

"What and when are the seasons for lobster?"

Mini season is the last Wed & Thursday of July. Regular season is August 6 - March 31.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom