Best value canister for recreational diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

docmartin:
i bought the light at an attractive price. daryl hawes is great to deal with. standard beam is 13 deg. i asked for a 6 deg beam and he had a couple available. have not been diving with it because of the weather around here.
Thanks Doc, I sent them an e-mail inquiring about the 6 deg. beam and if they were going to be offering an adjustable beam. The light looks pretty well made for the money. I think I could live with out the adjustable head so maybe I will give it another look see.

Keep me posted if you get a chance to dive with it. I would be interested in the outcome.

P.S> You wouldn't mind sharing that price with me would you? :eyebrow:

Scott M:
Thanks Doc, I sent them an e-mail inquiring about the 6 deg. beam and if they were going to be offering an adjustable beam. The light looks pretty well made for the money. I think I could live with out the adjustable head so maybe I will give it another look see.

Keep me posted if you get a chance to dive with it. I would be interested in the outcome.

P.S> You wouldn't mind sharing that price with me would you? :eyebrow:

I have purchased their light as well. He stands behind his product. I had a flooding problem and he took care of it right away.

I just switched from a NiteRider HID to the Terkel Sollys. My only reason for switching was the 13 degree beam on the NiteRider. It's pretty much useless for daytime diving or signaling ... the beam covers a nice area, but there's no spot.

The Terkel is focusable, and penetrates low-vis conditions really well. The first time I used it I had it adjusted for a very tight beam. Darn thing worked like a light saber ... the spot was actually too tight. Widened the beam up a bit and it worked like a charm in vis that was maybe 10-12 feet. Very bright, penetrating beam.

Used it last night for the first time on a night dive. Vis was variable from 2 to 10 feet ... damn near zero when we got buzzed by a harbor seal (those things kick up more silt than the worst of divers). At times all we could see of each other was our lights.

Both of my buddies came out of the water with HID envy ... the Terkel was clearly better in those conditions than either the NiteRider or the LC.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Snowbear:
Does this mean you no longer covet my light? :D:D

You kidding? The fishies all have to wear dark sunglasses when you get in the water!

No, even a Terkel wouldn't compete with your light ... but if I had your light I'd hook the canister up next to one of my steel '72's and wear it like a set of doubles ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Padipro:
I built my light for less then $150 but other then the fact that it's a halogen I'll put it up against any name brand light. It's made from nearly the exact same maretial as any light you'll spend $800 on and has worked flawlessly to at least 130 feet. I took my time building it and used the best materials I could find as well as tested every part of the light before it ever went into the water with me on a real dive. I've built stuff such as camera housings, O2 analizers and canister lights and there's really nothing to it.

Scott,

I looked at the pics of your DIY projects on MSN. All I have to say is sweet! Sorry the dive didn't work out today. Hope the Tenneco had some nice life on it. I'll be looking forward to diving with you next week. I'm gonna be talking to you about one of those lights for my rig.

Eric

NWGratefulDiver:
Both of my buddies came out of the water with HID envy ... the Terkel was clearly better in those conditions than either the NiteRider or the LC.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

!!!!

Should be getting mine this week, I hope!

Oh, the anticipation!

Just bought one of those Prowatt can lights, 50watt, focusable, looks like a brick but if I'm into cool looks I'm in the wrong sport... Oh goodman handle and spares kit with 20watt bulb for longer burn times for $245 with warranty... Hmmmmm good deal, I think so, but I'll post after I use it and see.

Scott M:

I dove with someone last night who just purchased one of these ... and I have to say I'm pretty impressed. The color's a little more blue than myTerkel light (not sure why, I thought all the HID bulbs were pretty much the same). The beam has a nice spot and penetrated fairly well ... although we had pretty good vis last night (maybe 20 feet or so).

There's a magnetic switch on the light head for turning the light on and off ... I think that's a nice feature. Instead of a goodman handle it uses a velcro strap ... but given the small size of the light head that seems an effective option. The canister unscrews into two pieces to take out the battery ... not sure how effective that is over the long-term in terms of keeping water out of the canister, but it appears to be well-milled so it's probably just fine.

My only initial concern would be with the strap-mount and the three "hose" clamps holding it to the canister. They're mounted such that if you want to wear the light on your waist strap the clamp heads (where you insert the screwdriver to tighten/loosen the clamps) will be rubbing up against your suit. That could cause wear problems with your suit unless you create some kind of "boot" to cushion the wear points. You could probably remedy that by just loosening the clamps and moving them off to the side ... not sure, we didn't try taking anything apart to see how it would work.

Overall it appears to be a really nice light for the money.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom