best warranty for BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Beware of "Lifetime" warranties. As a previous person stated, they are for the "lifetime of the product" not the lifetime of the owner. So... the actual warranty agreement should have the exact terms as to what that means.

I remember a computer equipment company had a Limited Lifetime Warranty on certain products. Essentially, the product was supported up to five years after it was discontinued. After that period, you are on your own.

Here is a link to Aqualung's BC warranty information. It is very interesting to read their take on Limited Lifetime. To me it seems more limited than lifetime. Warranty by Category. Zeagle is a bit less specific, but doesn't cover damage due to wear, accident, etc.

I think we are pretty liberal on our warranty policy.

Now, I will admit that I have had to refuse warranty service to the guy who called and said, "I left my BC in the garage over the winter and a rat chewed it all up...that's covered under warranty, right??" but my standard answer to our repair department is, "If we can fix it under warranty at a resonable cost, do it...because the goodwill and word of mouth advertising is worth a lot more than the $20 we could charge."

"Limited Lifetime" generally means warrantied against defects in material and workmanship for the life of the BC. One thing I can tell you guys is this - keep your original sales reciept in a safe place if you are at all concerned about the warranty (just like you should do with your TV, appliances, etc.). With Craigslist, eBay, etc. it is getting to the point where we sometimes have to ask if you have your original sales reciept to prove that you are the original owner.

Thanks,

Scott

Zeagle's have a lifetime,---which is fairly long, :)

My local authorized Aqualung dealer said lifetime means a reasonable period of use.

That is load of horse caca! Lifetime to me is my lifetime. Period, end of freakin story! Unless I shove a soldering iron through it normal wear is normal wear.

Scubapro..had a customer that developed a tiny leak in the wing of his Knighhawk,the bcd was 4 years old and heavily used..Scubapro honored their warranty and replaced it with a brand new one.No questions asked..He purchased it at an authorized dealer..

My ScubaPro Knighthawk has been good. I started diving it this year. So, even though we dive every weekend, it's still very new.

I also have a ScubaPro Classic Stab Jacket that is about 15 years old. It works well, and the AIR2 is still testing fine. I have no problems wearing it on any dive. Both ScubaPro BC's were purchased from an Authorized Dealer.

My buddy has a Zeagle 911, and he absolutley loves it. Also from an Authorized Dealer. Nice BC.

That is load of horse caca! Lifetime to me is my lifetime. Period, end of freakin story! Unless I shove a soldering iron through it normal wear is normal wear.
Many people think that, but the definition for any Limited Lifetime Warranty is going to be the reasonable lifetime of the product. Besides, warranties are designed to protect against defects in manufacturing and materials, they don't cover normal wear, accidental or intentional damage.

Lifetime means the lifetime of the original owner, period. The "lifetime" of a product does not exist.... why don't they just say "it lasts until it breaks"? That's the basic message...we'll warrant it until it breaks, then it's "lifetime" is over. What a bunch of nonsense.

I buy a lot of mountaineering/backpacking gear, and the better companies always have lifetime warranties. When you buy something, and it breaks under normal use, without any time limit, they fix it or replace it. Simple. An old North Face goretex jacket of mine de-laminated about 15 years after I bought it, so I went looking for another one, told a dealer about it (not the same place I bought it) and he told me to send to TNF, which I did, and a week later a new one arrived in the mail.

Any dive gear company that claims it's gear is "life support" and then does not extend the same faith in its products is on pretty thin ice, IMO.

I keep my gear and well whatever else I have to own in good shape. I just know I'm a big guy and I'll be stressful and a little rough with whatever I have.

I had a jansport backpack and sent it in about 5 times due to wear and tear on it. I stuff that thing so full of heavy stuff. Wore out the zippers and put holes in it. Got it fixed always in a reasonable mount of time and the people were always friendly when I had questions or concerns.

I'm just looking for something where the the company of any thing I buy can give me that kind of customer support.

I keep my gear and well whatever else I have to own in good shape. I just know I'm a big guy and I'll be stressful and a little rough with whatever I have.

I had a jansport backpack and sent it in about 5 times due to wear and tear on it. I stuff that thing so full of heavy stuff. Wore out the zippers and put holes in it. Got it fixed always in a reasonable mount of time and the people were always friendly when I had questions or concerns.

I'm just looking for something where the the company of any thing I buy can give me that kind of customer support.

HINT: Look at post #11 in this thread.

You may recognize the name of the nice fellow who posted: His name rhymes with a company that makes terrific products and has superb customer support (hint, sounds like "ZEAGLE") :wink:

Now, I defy you to find Mr. Scubapro, Mr. Aqualung, Mr. Apeks, Mr. OMS, etc., answering questions about their company's warranty policy on a public forum :wink:

Best wishes.

ya I noticed that, I find that very comforting and also one of the great things I really like about SB.

No matter how much I use Google for inquires or Questions just in case something doesn't jive on SB or some information that doesn't sit right with me about scuba gear I seem to always find a link to here in the end :)

edit: As of lately I have been emailing my local dive shops and almost all of them onlyi rent out jacket style BCDS...damn them all!! :/

I am quite certain that Tobin from deep sea supply would repair or replace any BP/W of his that failed in normal use to the original owner, without a time limit. I would hope that Zeagle would do the same. It just makes sense...people buy this gear ONLY if they strong confidence in it, and the manufacturer's stance behind their products is part of that confidence.

In the case of this idiotic aqualung dealer, I bet that aqualung would be mortified to hear a dealer qualify the warranty like he did. If not, screw them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom