Best Way SAP to Utila?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JJJason

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, looking for info on the best economical way to get from SAP to Utila in 1 day. We arrive SAP on a friday at 12:15 pm. How long to clear customs, immigration etc?
Do we have time to drive to La Ceiba for the last ferry at 4 pm? If so, what the best way and approximate cost to go by auto or bus?

Is it economical to fly to La Ceiba, taxi to ferry and ferry over? Do we have time to make it?

The other option is a $220 flight from SAP to Utila.
Trying to save some cabbage if we can make it. We have 4 travelers.
Thanks for any info or advice.

Either you shell out $220 to fly, or take a bus to La Ceiba, spend the night and ferry over in the morning. One time I checked, but flight to La Ceiba did not leave enough time to make the ferry. Pretty much the same problem going home. Book early, the flight to Utila gets sold out on weekends. The flight back to the mainland will be canceled if there are not enough passengers. In that case you take the early ferry out, a cab meets you and they hold the flight from La Ceiba to San Pedro Sula. At least that is what happened to me last time.

Thanks for that. Any other thoughts on the subject?

What's the real drive time from SAP to La Ceiba??

Bus and Ferry is cheapest its $20 for executive plus bus but you would have to stay over in La Ceiba so it could be a wash losing a day. We're flying SAP to Utila then back to La Ceiba the following Saturday afternoon and first bus to SAP on Sunday morning I hope. Having trouble getting responses from the Bus company(Hedman Alas).

SCHEDULE FROM SAN PEDRO SULA

To La Ceiba Service Type Observations
06:00am Executive None
10:20am Executive None
02:45pm Executive None
06:00pm Executive Plus None

Hire a driver from SAP to Ceiba for the Princess. With 4 people, the cost will be very reasonable. Don't know if I can post it here, so email me off board and I'll give you a phone number and email for my favorite driver (english speaking). You'll get a cool personal tour in the process!

Thanks for that. Any other thoughts on the subject?

What's the real drive time from SAP to La Ceiba??

Hi Jason
With your flight arriving at 12.15 you prob wont clear the airport until 1 at the earliest. With the bus to ceiba you will miss the ferry. There is (I believe) a flight from SAP to Ceiba at 2.30 but even that will be a push to make the ferry. The idea of a private car could work but it is a three hour trip from SAP to Ceiba, so again, cutting it fine.
The flight from SAP to Utila also leaves at 2.30 and is about $130 One way.
If you chose one of the options to get the 4.30 ferry be prepaired to spend the night in Ceiba and catch the 09.30 ferry. If getting here as soon as poss is your priority then the flight is the only guarantee. To book the flight email alicewwtravel@yahoo.com
Good luck and enjoy the island

Thanks all for the tips, we're going to make the flight just to be sure we get there in 1 day. The 4 pm ferry is cutting it a little too tight. if there's any delays or problems enroute, we're done.

So the flight it is. Thanks for all the options though

One alternative you might think about is taking a taxi from SAP to Ceiba. The cost will be less than the plane ticket and you can leave immediately vs. waiting at least 3 hours for the plane. The drive time is approximately 3 hours. We usually fly back. The tickets are $62 per person on Taca.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom