Best way to secure gauges and octopus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hory

Contributor
Reaction score
Guys and gals,

Got any tips on how to secure the guage and octopus? Should I use a bungee cord on the tank to attach the octopus clip? Pictures of setups will be appreciated.

Best,
Hory

You don't want an octopus attached to the tank (unless you are using a slung pony bottle. Normally an octo is carried in the triangular area bewteen the hips and the head where another diver can see it and access it.

If I carry an octo, I will use bolt snaps to clip it to a D-ring in that area. The bolt snap is zip tied to an O-ring that fits snugly around the mouthpiece on the octo. If you have time the bolt snap can be undone. If you don't, the octo can just be pulled free of the O-ring. The O-ring is much more secure than many of the clips that are sold to hold octos but it is just as easy to remove the octo when it's needed.

You can also mount it around your neck with a bungee cord or with surgical tubing. It's a great idea for a tech diver with a long hose primary reg, but it is not always ideal for rec diving.

Part of the decision of how you carry it should involve your philosophy of whether you plan to donate your primary or your alternate.

I will use a bolt snap to secure an SPG to a D-ring but use a retractor to secure a dive computer. This allows me to pull the computer/console out far enough to use the compass etc, but still keeps it close to me when it is not in use.

Hory once bubbled...
Guys and gals,

Got any tips on how to secure the guage and octopus? Should I use a bungee cord on the tank to attach the octopus clip? Pictures of setups will be appreciated.

Best,
Hory

Here's one semi-popular option:

http://www.browniedive.com/images/halcyon/dir1.jpg

This guy has no gauge console and no clipped octo. He has a depth gauge or computer on his right wrist, the spg is by itself on a very short hose bot snapped to a D-ring on his left waist, and the backup regulator is on a bungee around his neck.

Just pass the snorkel keeper through a D-ring, then pull one loop through the other to attach it to the D-ring. Then insert the octo mouthpiece into the loop that hangs down.

I usually carry a couple extra snorkel keepers when I go off to a boat by myself, and part of my predive buddy check is to properly secure the octo on my buddy-for-the-day.

I usually secure octo to my right UPPER D-ring. While not necessarily in the mouth to ribs triangle, it is right near my mouth, and is very visible. Another advantage of using an snorkel keeper (or an O-ring as DA Aquamaster suggested) and having it on the upper D ring is that you can test breathe it without removing it.

I agree with Charlie99, snorkel keeper good as long as it is one of the tough ones, not the really skinny ones. Use a double eye clip for the guage and hook one eye to the console, the other a shoulder D-ring so you can see the guage. I like to hook it to the upper right D-ring, however, you should note that this could inhibit gear removal in case of a rescue. Other people use surgical tubing and put the guage lower on the left, so they can extend the guage up to see it or show their buddy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom