Best weather time frame for Layang Layang?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How much did the return flight from KK to LL cost?
The return fare for the flight BKI-LAC-BKI is currently USD $370 per person. It takes about an hour and a half each way.

I can't say whether the liveaboard experience will be any much superior to the land experience as I've never stayed on an LOB at Layang.

LoBs usually have the advantage of being on top of the actual dive site. But its up to you to find out more.

Another advantage is that you could also dive at the nearby Dallas & Mariveles reefs. Lots of other sharks, mantas, stunning walls and beautiful reefs there but no other divers. You still do your morning hammerhead dives at LL.

A disadvantage for LOBs that seems to be important to some people is that the boats usually do not have internet. To each, his own.

I think if people needed the internet as opposed to diving with sharks, mantas and hammerheads - they might as well stay at home.

That's harsh. I need the Internet because, among other things I do, I am a server admin and am on call 24/7 in case one of the servers I manage goes down. It happens only once or twice a year, but I cannot risk a few any window of non-connectivity in case it happens during this time.

My job affords me plenty of income and flexibility to do all the diving I like, and I have had many trips on LOBs. I have found though that even in the remote isles of Komodo, I was still able to get some kind of data connection over cellular. I don't care if it's slow; as long as there is a cellular connection, I'm good to go.

I would not however ever consider a trip where I am completely cut off for days at a time. Small price to pay for the diving I am able to do.

Thus I humbly and absolutely disagree with your point - I need the Internet, but I definitely do not need to "might as well stay at home".

Is there any cell phone reception around LL? We are taking the white manta liveaboard there next month and was hoping I could stay in touch a little.
Also, i heard something that there is no more diving around Dallas and/or Mariveles reefs, is that true?

There is normally cell phone reception when you are near to the resort - which the boat will be near every night and many times in the day. Note though that the cell tower was damaged last week and service was interrupted. I am not 100% certain if it was repaired yet.

Also, diving at Dallas and Mariveles is always subject to navy approval. Approval is subject to whether China is sending their navy to the region at the time. So far, on the first trip this year, we are diving at both reefs as well as at Layang Layang itself. Last year, I think we got to Dallas on every trip except one. Mariveles, on the other hand, we only made it to once.

FYI, from the first trip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fM-OpwkkMuk

Last edited:
There is normally cell phone reception when you are near to the resort - which the boat will be near every night and many times in the day. Note though that the cell tower was damaged last week and service was interrupted. I am not 100% certain if it was repaired yet.

Also, diving at Dallas and Mariveles is always subject to navy approval. Approval is subject to whether China is sending their navy to the region at the time. So far, on the first trip this year, we are diving at both reefs as well as at Layang Layang itself. Last year, I think we got to Dallas on every trip except one. Mariveles, on the other hand, we only made it to once.

FYI, from the first trip: Layang Layang White Manta Trip 1 - YouTube
Any luck with hammerheads on the first trip?

Sadly, no. After 100% sightings last year, the first trip had none. They did see the thresher, lots of greys and white tips, some mantas and eagle rays in the outer reefs though. The reefs of LL look pretty beat up too, compared to last year. We're hoping it's just an early season thing.

Hopefully things will turn around soon, Im on the May 16th cruise.

Everyone saw "bunches" of hammerheads on first and/or second day of second trip per short message. Yeah. Regular cell phone seems back up too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom