Best weather time frame for Layang Layang?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lizardqueen

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Thread split from the discussion of the loss of the Oriental Siren.
Honestly, the weather is so screwed up these day's out here (i have noticed the wet/dry seasons are not consistent anymore since 2004), it's hard to tell when the good seasons are anymore.

I don't think we have had an actual dry season/dry spell for anything longer than 2-3 weeks at the most this year.

while we await 1st-hand accounts, I'm curious about the weather meltdown in the S China Sea, and when some of you who live around there suggest making the trip. I happened onto this thread while reading up on Timor - had never even heard of the Spratlys - but the result of reading about this scary close call is that now I really want to go to Layang-Layang! Hopefully that doesn't make me totally crazy :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
I went diving in Layang Layang in early May and we did encounter Hammerhead sharks, a school of crazy dolphins, and a Marlin. Yes, I swam with a Marlin. Check out my photos on this blog before it expires.
The Gentle Knight - Photos I've taken: some only viewable by my contacts: so sign up!!!

I was thinking of going diving in LL this year - but in 5th - 10th March. What will be the diving conditions then? Will it be worth going?

I'd say that early March is probably a bit early in the season. You might have calm seas but I would not be the farm. Early April to mid-June give you the best chance of seeing the hammerheads in relatively calm seas.

Some good news - I went for the Opening week -5th - 10th March 2013. It was probably one of the best dive trips I have ever had. Dolphins came by to swim with us on day1, and on the 2nd day - not too far from The Point at Gorgonian Forest we came across 30+Hammerhead sharks at 30M in pretty good water visibility.

Got video of the event too!!!

Layang Layang 6th March 2013 8:20am on Vimeo

nice, Sipadiver - thanks for the update. I looked at the Submersibles site - do you think it's just as well to stay at the land resort as on a liveaboard?

I can't say whether the liveaboard experience will be any much superior to the land experience as I've never stayed on an LOB at Layang.

LoBs usually have the advantage of being on top of the actual dive site. But its up to you to find out more.

I paid US$1k++ for the week stay at the Layang Layang resort. I can tell you I'd probably do it again. I like the resort and the diving there - that much I can tell you.

I flew to KK on AirAsia - then had to spend a night in KK city because the only flight to Layang was at 6am? the following day. The flight there was uneventful and the stay at KK was alright. Its famous for its bak ku teh (beef broth rice dish).

There is only one resort on the island, yes. When we landed and kitted up - we did 2 dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom