Better computer interfaces coming?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ly-cilph

Reaction score
Hello, anybody know if Suunto or others are planning a better and more modern computer interface offer?

Like direct USB, instead of old style serial (that many new computers don't have anymore). Not only easier, cheaper and less problems, but with the ability to connect directly to PocketPC/PDA/Smartphones etc. (with software for that). Or maybe even (gasp :wink:) wireless Bluetooth connection.

It seems to me that they really lag behind on this (and on the pricing!).

Uwatec is on to something better with IR in SmartPro/Com, but unfortunately no PocketPC/PDA-support/software as I understand (?) - and no hoseless air model (why? is it coming?).

I'm looking at buying a Suunto Vytec or Uwatec Air Z Nitrox, but have a new PC without serial - yes I know of adapters but there are problems with that, especially if you have a PocketPC - which I also have and would love to be able to use for direct downloading of dives, on trips etc. (and sync with the PC).

And for now I'm waiting and hoping for better solutions... How long will I have to wait? :cheeky:

:) Arne

It's a good question as in my experience dive computer interfaces tend to be a bit on the low tech side of things in comparision to the rest of the computer world. They really need better software developers and they need serious input from computer savvy divers.

The good news is that an interface program is available for Suunto Spyder , Vytec, Cobra and Viper computers for Aqua DiveLog which will run on a palm with at least the Palm 3.3 operating system.

There is also a plugin available for the Uwatec Aladin, but not yet for the Smart Pro Smart Com series.

The Aqua DiveLog download site:
http://www.aquadivelog.org/download.html

Other sites:
http://www.freewarepalm.com/hobbies/aquadivelogforpalmos.shtml
http://www.freewarepalm.com/hobbies/aquadivelogplugin-suuntodc.shtml

My Oceanic VT Pro has a USB download cable. I bought it for several reasons, but one was certainly to support anyone willing to dump serial ports for USB, especially since it's been on our desktops since 1996. I believe that this same oceanic cable works for several Oceanic and Aeris modules...

Alternatively, you can always get some cheapy USB->Serial modules...

I use a bunch of these for connecting to old UPSes, etc.
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=12-104-561&depa=0

Incidentally, just because your PDA has a USB cable does not mean that it is capable of operating as a USB master device. The Palm/Hpaq stuff that exists today can connect to a master device (your PC), but cannot have devices connect to them. As far as I know, Toshiba was one of the few that used to support a master USB mode on their PDAs, but even then, you would need driver support.

To be honest, there are so many things that could be done with a dive computer that aren't. Compare a high-priced dive computer with a middle of the road PDA to see what I mean. Sure, there are costs associated with waterproofing, increased testing for life-support equipment, etc., I'll grant that. However, wouldn't it be nice to have a 3" screen with your PSI, depth/time and a window with some fish identification information? How about an e-book for a deco stop (I know the VR3 is suppose to support this someday)?

One gets the sense that dive computers are made by divers instead of computer guys...

I know you're all dying to jump in about how many crashes you get on your PDA/PC and how you couldn't have that underwater, so dive in... :)

PurduEE:
My Oceanic VT Pro has a USB download cable. I bought it for several reasons, but one was certainly to support anyone willing to dump serial ports for USB, especially since it's been on our desktops since 1996.

I believe that while it uses the standard USB interface, it uses a "custom" USB cable - you can't use a standard USB cable, right?

I built a cable to interface with my Vytec using my Palm Pilot. Works great on trips and keeps me from scrolling through all the screens on my Vytec to look up data.

Instructions are on my web site. Go to Scuba---Equipment...or do a search on Vytec if you go to my site.
I'm using the Aqua Divelog(freeware) and am very happy with it.

Let me know if you have any questions.

PurduEE:
One gets the sense that dive computers are made by divers instead of computer guys...

They need be be developed by divers who are also computer guys, or at least have the development programs be driven by divers who who what computers are capable of. Testing by real divers with experience and above average IQ's would also help. Leave the tech reps and sales reps at home please.

I like the E-book idea for deco and I really wonder why a inexpensive PDA with 59 dollars worth of Dplan software could not be integrated with a $600 to $800 dive computer. It would give a whole new dimension to on the fly deco and contingency planning. Hell, just give me a console with a depth gauge, a bottom timer and a depth rated Palm m500 on it with Dplan and I'd be tickled.

gj62:
I believe that while it uses the standard USB interface, it uses a "custom" USB cable - you can't use a standard USB cable, right?

Correct. It is a Pelagic proprietary three-wire interface to USB cable. I posted a picture of the innards in another thread on scubaboard if you are interested.

Still and all though, Pelagic is the only manufacturer I know of to offer a USB cable. It's baby steps, but at least it's a step in the right direction.

DA Aquamaster:
They need be be developed by divers who are also computer guys, or at least have the development programs be driven by divers who who what computers are capable of. Testing by real divers with experience and above average IQ's would also help. Leave the tech reps and sales reps at home please.

I like the E-book idea for deco and I really wonder why a inexpensive PDA with 59 dollars worth of Dplan software could not be integrated with a $600 to $800 dive computer. It would give a whole new dimension to on the fly deco and contingency planning. Hell, just give me a console with a depth gauge, a bottom timer and a depth rated Palm m500 on it with Dplan and I'd be tickled.

You'd think that some enterprising folks could get MS/Palm interested in this concept. If nothing else, it's a great marketing angle for them to throw some money at a start-up to make it happen...

I see posters/slogans to the effect of "can your PDA do this?" or "MS/Palm (your choice) - when your data is crucial." Maybe a photo of some dude on a wreck, or back in a cave...

PurduEE:
You'd think that some enterprising folks could get MS/Palm interested in this concept. If nothing else, it's a great marketing angle for them to throw some money at a start-up to make it happen...

I see posters/slogans to the effect of "can your PDA do this?" or "MS/Palm (your choice) - when your data is crucial." Maybe a photo of some dude on a wreck, or back in a cave...

The biggest problem is that the market for dive computers is fairly small compared to a Palm or PPC market. Lets face it dive computers shouldn't cost what they do to actually make, its the lack of large volume, and likely hefty liability premiums that drive the cost.

It wouldn't surprise me that the small market is also keeping Palm and WinCE off these devices as well, simply because it would take more programmers to do the work required. With the small market its hard to justify.

I've worked on WinCE projects and I can tell you that you end up with a sizeable number of people doing programming and testing for a commerical application. When you add the stability angle in, that becomes another concern.

Oddly enough, I can see the manufacturers going to something like WinCE to get the core OS for doing a full bit map device with USB, possibly with color, but it will likely be fairly stripped down device. And I doubt that they would let you load any programs on it. If you look at the WinCE OS and I expect Palm, the OS is actually pretty solid, its the applications and other stuff you run on it that have problems. And oddly enough its usually the vendor added stuff that has the most problems.

An interesting twist on this might be to have a waterproof sleave for a standard iPaq which interfaced with sensors. The sleave would need to also likely need a readout for backup on pressure, depth, etc. You would also need some external buttons as well, after all the stylus probably wouldn't be real effective. Shame, because it would be a cool way to jot down notes. And if you want to add dreaming how about an integrated digital camera, and what's the range of blue tooth under water :)

As much as it might be a cool toy, I don't expect it to happen anytime soon. I'd settle for a decent IR or USB interface to PC, PPC or even Palm and then a decent program for actually doing something with it without having to jump through hoops.

Back
Top Bottom