Better computer interfaces coming?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just wish that the computer manufactures would give a little thought to how their dive computers data will interface with a PC application. How hard would it be to assign guid to each dive? This would make it much easier to do thing like combining dives on the PC end.

I ran into this after a dive to Hawaii. We forgot to reset the time on our dive computers so when I downloaded the data to my PC I changed the time of the dives. On my next download the PC Software added the Hawaii dives back since it didn't recognize the old ones with the new times.

-Ron

There are USB to RS-232 cables that have COM port drivers available for a mere $20.

It's interesting to see that others have been thinking along the same lines as I have regarding dive computers. The PDA type display is exactly what I was thinking, too. Instead of having a custom LCD where only certain characters can be displayed in certain positions, how about a "design your own computer?" By this I mean you'd have a program that would allow you to drag and drop all the indicators (pressure, time, depth, etc.) from a toolbox on to the display, and then position and size them as you want. You could also make use of color for various alarms and indicators; since the display is emissive, you wouldn't have the problem of red going to black at depth, too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom