Better diving - Kauai or Big Island?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pyeung429

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My boyfriend and I are trying to decide which island to visit in late September. What island do you think has better diving and why -- Big Island or Kauai? My boyfriend is new to diving and it is probably best we go someplace without strong currents, easy access dive spots, etc etc.

Having dived both islands, my concerted answer is "neither." One is not "better" than the other. They each have their features and are quite different.

Are you looking shore or boat diving?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've found that I prefer shore diving the BI more than any boat dive I've done on Maui, Kauai or Oahu.

For a new diver in late September, shore diving or boat diving, Kona would be my choice.
Clear water, easy entries, usually good conditions.

And yes, do put the Manta night dive on your list.
Its a memorable dive even for the newly certified diver that doesn't care for night dives.

:thumbs_up: Nuff Said!!

hm I totally forgot about that manta night dive in Kona. That's a huge selling point. I've personally seen plenty of mantas close up in my lifetime to be satisfied, but for a new diver it would be an absolutely amazing experience.

Because I'll be with a new diver, we'll probably go with a dive operator and I presume that means mostly boat dives. Do you have any recommendations for dive operators and/or recommended dive sites?

Also, do you know if divers normally see mantas in Kauai?

There are plenty of shore based dive guide in Maui (Shaka Doug come to mind, I know there are others on SB), I assume other places also. They are smaller ops and don't advertise as much as the boat so you have to ask to find them. I am not knocking boat dives, but to justify them just on having a DM/guide is expensive.

Is there good diving in Oahu ? Is there any chanses to see large pelagics such as Manta rays and sharks?

Back
Top Bottom