Better to be a hypochondriac?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

crispix

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Did a single dive to max depth 31 fsw, average depth 28 fsw for 47 minutes, and on EAN28. Talk about a conservative dive! Safety stop was fine, the printout from the dive computer looks fine.

But . . . about 3-4 hours post dive, a short while after packing up all the gear, my left arm started feeling weird, like I hit my funnybone, and my arm progressively got more and more "weird".

I fretted about DCS that evening but did nothing other than make sure I didn't have any other symptoms. It felt quite a bit better in the morning, and I had a physician (family member) check it out, who examined my fingers and hand and promptly diagnosed tendonitis. (Signs: feels better with rest, hurts more with movement, pressing up with the fingers hurts.)

I still obsessed about DCS, so I called DAN quite a while later, at which point I was satisfied that it really is tendonitis. In hindsight, I waited far too long to call DAN. Knock on wood, if ever need be, I won't make that mistake again.

My question is: can mild DCS cause tendonitis? Is it possible that bubbles irritated the tissues? I'm anxious about diving again.

I skipped this the other day hoping someone would give you a good answer. Failing that, I'll give you my answer.

I tend to go to extremes - too stoic or hypochondriac. But the truth is, none of us should treat ourselves. Keep DAN 24 hour emergency number and their office hours medical line both on your cell phone, charged and handy. When in ANY doubt, call one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom