BEWARE EON Steel POD batteries DOA out of box new! Very Disappointing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SS020308000 is the kit number, comes with a battery, new O-ring and housing. Paid $35 for mine

Why not return it for a refund and buy something somewhere else? That's normally how it works when someone buys a defective product.

thanks dmc78, do you know what the battery # is by chance?

---------- Post added November 6th, 2015 at 09:24 PM ----------

Kelemvor, mines not dead , I just like to plan ahead and have a spare on hand

pinshootr, The battery is a SAFT LS14250 3.6v. I see them on line for $5-10, much cheaper alternative if all you need is the battery, I may need to get a back up to my back up!

I've pretty much given up on relying on stuff with batteries. If it's run by batteries, I have a non-electronic backup if at all possible. Yes to a watch & tables if the comp goes out. Yes to SPG.

Seriously, I don't think a SPG is a step backward-

https://www.divegearexpress.com/spg

It is not recommended to replace the battery by yourself! One problem is that the housing can develop leaks if the housing is not replaced every time the battery is replaced. Another problem is that the battery quality might be comprimised if bought from a random seller. This kind of special battery has a large capacity and long shelf life but it is impossible to measure the remaining capacity by voltage or internal impedance. The Tank Pod computes the remaining battery capacity by assuming a full capacity battery is inserted initially and then counting down capacity as the Tank Pod is used or kept idle. The early problems with a low battery indication from a brand new Tank Pod with full battery was that the capacity counter was reset by a shock from electrostatic discharge after shipping the product from the factory. This problem was fixed immediately when we learned about it. Batteries from random sellers might not have full capacity due to wrong storage conditions or long storage times. They might also be used batteries or discarded faulty batteries.

So, if you replace the battery yourself you void the warranty and risk flooding the Tank Pod. Also, the battery might run out of power before the indication says the battery is low. And always remember to keep a backup pressure gauge or prepare to abort the dive if your one and only pressure gauge fails, just as with any critical dive equipment. Regardless of Tank Pod battery indication in Eon Steel we recommend replacing the battery after 200 dives or 2 years, whichever comes first.

I wish you a happy new year and safe dives!
Tom from Suunto

Hmm - not sure how i Should Feel right now ... Bought a eon Steel with Tank Last Week at boat & Scuba fair in Germany because i'm going to the Maledives next Week - paired the pod yesterday to go for a Test dive and guess what? "Low battery" Right After Pairing ...

What Should i do? Sending to the reseller will not work in Time - replacing by Myself or a suunto Dealer Here would work - in my cost and of its a bug - will i Happen During my one Week Scuba Cruise again?

Thx

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom