Beware Suunto computers D9 and Vytec.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a Gekko, bought in Singapore, it’s almost 4 years old (262 dives, 197 hours), never had any problem and it’s still running with the original factory installed battery. I’ve been carrying a spare battery with me wherever I go diving since March 2006...

I have had the Cobra when it first came out back in 01 or 02. Never a problem. I also have a D9 since they first came out no problems except for the one recall after the D9 first came out.

Regarding the plastic cover for the Cobra they are $6.95 on leisure pro and my LDS. You can also get a buffer wheel on your drill and can be polished out.

RRose, Your question begs whether you have read the previous 20 or pages of disappointed consumers of SUUNTO products.

Wife now has about 20 dives on her Vytek. No issues.

Did change the battery once though. I dont care for the battery compartment as it does not "appear" to sit flush and look sealed. However it is and its a great dive computer.

Much easier to figure out and use than my Oceanic Vt3. which I still struggle to understand.

Programming Suunto computers is a nightmare; particularly for Nitrox. There have been depth guages that have failed, and many owners have experienced service/repair problems from Suunto. There are many other computers that are much easier to use and operate. A good guideline to use when buying a computer: The fewer buttons a computer has, the easier it is to operate and program!

We took my co-workers Gekko out this week-end and did four dives over two days. The Gekko performed flawlessly. When we got back we downloaded the dives to my laptop, we found that the dive where the Gekko screwed-up was "missing" (deleted by Suunto?) but the test dive that Suunto performed was there! Sure looks like a CYA to me.

I have the scubapro extender - I have it almost 2 years and have never had a problem - I highly recommend it. It's not too expensive and has everything you need in a good computer and then some!!!!

When I was originall buying a computer I wanted a sunto - I asked every instructor I met (I was on a gap year and dived all over) before buying and most had told me some story of the suunto failings.

Programming Suunto computers is a nightmare; particularly for Nitrox. There have been depth guages that have failed, and many owners have experienced service/repair problems from Suunto. There are many other computers that are much easier to use and operate. A good guideline to use when buying a computer: The fewer buttons a computer has, the easier it is to operate and program!

I have a D9 and Cobra which I have had for years. I am also a Nitrox diver never experenced a nightmare programming Time, Date, Nitrox etc. Have I missed something?

I don't know what this nightmare talk is all about. I read the instructions and applied what I learned into programming my Gekko - done - all in about 20-30 minutes. Can't be anymore idiot proof than that regardless of the kind of gas you're breathing.

I have to thank everyone for passing this along, I was leaning toward a suunto computer, now that I've read this I think I'll go for the oceanic.

Ernest

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom