BHB collection/protection discussion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is a good one too. This kid who loves collecting at the bridge started a thread complaining about people collecting.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/fl...9430-possible-collecting-bhb.html#post5721205

Hey just want to give everyone a heads up. I live up towards central FL, but I came down to dive BHB today, turns out I had my tides a little wrong so i got there late, right as everyone was leaving I figured since i drove 2 1/2 hours I'd still go out. I saw a yellowhead Jawfish at the third set of pillings, just to the east of them, under the main BHB when i first got out, and while I was getting out of the water I saw a few guys juming into a boat with collecting nets right at the same spot i saw the JF:no:, by the time i got to the lifegaurds they were long gone. I'm not gonna make it back down for a few weeks and wanted to know if someone could check it out and see if the JF is still there, or if thats the last i was gonna see him?

There is a County ordinance prohibiting the collection of of tropicals. It was sponsored by Karen Marcus (God bless her. She took point in saving the North County beaches for the public over 20 years ago. Although there was no law against developers putting up more condos). The problem it seems is that that the water is State (and maybe Corps?). Although the County regulates docks and such over State and Corps waters elsewhere.

Dan:

I'm thinking, if nothing else the community approach Commissioner Marcus once more as we did when she sponsored the present ordinance; make it illegal to possess a tropical upland in the park. At least it would discourage the trash who can't afford boats. (Scott..you are correct; most of the ones I've seen have mullets.)

To be perfectly frank, I thought that is how the ordinance was written. Maybe I'll dig it up. I chatted with Dave earlier this week, but did not have the Epiphany until I got home.

How does that work? The facility is boat launch for vessels returning from all over. There will never be a county prohibition that will preclude boaters from landing their legal cacth at the park. Upon what ground would the County preclude collectors from landing their catch (from either boats or otherwise) onto the exact same county park? You brainstorm is to specifically target economicaly disadvantaged people (who can't afford Internal combustion engines that spew out oil and fuel into the water way)? Pick on the poor people????

As long as the organisms were taken under the existing state satutes, what crime have the collectors committed, by bringing them to their vehicles? I think you have confused a fart with an epiphany.

Seriously, this is getting tiresome and circular and will probably just degrade into another series of name callings, but why not harness some of this energy toward something meaningful, like water quality issues.

How does that work? The facility is boat launch for vessels returning from all over. There will never be a county prohibition that will preclude boaters from landing their legal cacth at the park. Upon what ground would the County preclude collectors from landing their catch (from either boats or otherwise) onto the exact same county park? You brainstorm is to specifically target economicaly disadvantaged people (who can't afford Internal combustion engines that spew out oil and fuel into the water way)? Pick on the poor people????

As long as the organisms were taken under the existing state satutes, what crime have the collectors committed, by bringing them to their vehicles? I think you have confused a fart with an epiphany.

Seriously, this is getting tiresome and circular and will probably just degrade into another series of name callings, but why not harness some of this energy toward something meaningful, like water quality issues.

Most of us think this IS meaningful. I'm going to reach out and see what we can do. Karen was receptive when the original ordinance was passed.

Here is how it works... Change this sign (wording of the ordinance)

fostermd03.jpg

To: "Possession"

One word change makes it enforceable by all law enforcement. It is unfortunate that this ordinance in not enforceable because it requires the actual observance of collection by an officer.

But, that is the nature of those who wish to subvert the ordinance... They will focus in on a single word to make their point, rather than focus on the "spirit" of the ordinance... Don't worry... Before it is too late, I am sure everything will get straightened out.

Most of us think this IS meaningful. I'm going to reach out and see what we can do. Karen was receptive when the original ordinance was passed.

What has changed that would allow the county to unilateraly removes the riights of recreational fisherman and sportsman (collectors) that use the state waters there? I already provided the sttutes that gives us special Protection.

You need to concentrate on what ascpects of the existing county oridinance that made it invalid, unenforceable and essentially illegal.

From what I understand, to make something work, you need to get the STATE to spearhead the proposed legislation rather than the county...

You brainstorm is to specifically target economicaly disadvantaged people (who can't afford Internal combustion engines that spew out oil and fuel into the water way)? Pick on the poor people????

The subject has nothing to do with economically disadvantaged people. It has everything to do with a select few classless and thoughtless unfortunates...

Here is how it works... Change this sign (wording of the ordinance)

fostermd03.jpg

To: "Possession"

One word change makes it enforceable by all law enforcement. It is unfortunate that this ordinance in not enforceable because it requires the actual observance of collection by an officer.

But, that is the nature of those who wish to subvert the ordinance... They will focus in on a single word to make their point, rather than focus on the "spirit" of the ordinance... Don't worry... Before it is too late, I am sure everything will get straightened out.

You are going to make a law that all the boaters can not land their legal catch ata boat launch facility??? What authority does the county have to do that?

What has changed that would allow the county to unilateraly removes the riights of recreational fisherman and sportsman (collectors) that use the state waters there? I already provided the sttutes that gives us special Protection.

You need to concentrate on what ascpects of the existing county oridinance that made it invalid, unenforceable and essentially illegal.

From what I understand, to make something work, you need to get the STATE to spearhead the proposed legislation rather than the county...

Read my post above and you will see that you are incorrect. Change that one word in the ordinance and the second you step out of the water, you are in violation of the county ordinance... of course....

You will probably say that anyone who travels from their local Wal Mart with their legal tropical purchase will be subject to this "unjust" county ordinance... Trust me, the fresh water tropicals sold at Wal Mart will be fined at officer discretion... They (enforcement) still have the ability for logical thinking as to whether this is a salt water tropical or a fresh water tropical :shakehead:

You are going to make a law that all the boaters can not land their legal catch ata boat launch facility??? What authority does the county have to do that?
Please point to one Parrott fish, jaw fish, angel fish... Oh, excuse me... Tropical fish landed as a legal catch... You are now too friggin' funny to believe :rofl3:

I can see it now...

Bo(at) Fisher1, "Yo Duke, check out this catch!"
Duke(it out) Fisher2, "Dude! Righteous catch! What bait were you using to catch that jawfish, dude?"

Absolutely pathetic

:shakehead:

What has changed that would allow the county to unilaterally remove the rights of recreational fisherman and sportsman (collectors) that use the state waters there? I already provided the statutes that give us special Protection.

You need to concentrate on what aspects of the existing county ordinance that made it invalid, unenforceable and essentially illegal.

No worries. We will. LOL. You obviously have not gleaned from my posts what others have. :wink:

Oh..BTW. Fixed it for you. Are you one of the guys at SFWMD? My brother was there until recently.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom