Bi-Focal Mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jdcpa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I need help.

I have a small head and I need a bi-focal mask.

I have tried the XS Scuba Gauge Reader and it is a little too large for me.

I had a Sea Dive Seaventure mask for a while, but my wife claimed it. I can't find that mask anywhere on the internet.

I have tried the slide in or stick on lenses and I can't get them to stay on.

Does anyone have any ideas for a good mask for me?

Prescription mask? I had to get one....expensive but at least I can see well.

Seadive still makes the Seaventure and I have them in stock. If you are interested please
pm me.

The mask I use with bi-focal lenses is the Tusa Liberator Plus. ScubaPro has the same mask, but under a different name.

I'm glad to have found this thread. Since I have been in the water (10 + years), I have started wearing reading glasses. I can see my gauges and watch, but I'd rather they be clear; no sense in taking unnecessary risk.

I looked at a Sea Vision in a dive shop recently, but didn't like the mask itself; even though the bi-focal aspect was GREAT.

What other brands or options are available besides the ones listed above?

What I have done is to find a good, well-fitting masking with two independent lenses (for some reason, this is a requirement), and send it in through an optometrist to have reading lenses put on it. I've been able to customize the amount of the mask that is occupied by the reading lens. (One of my problems with the pre-made ones is that the lens is always in the wrong place for me to use it easily.) This has worked very well for me, but it is not a cheap solution -- about $150 to have it done, which makes each mask a rather expensive item, and something one would rather not lose in the surf off Los Angeles :)

I found cheaters at a dive shop that are plastic and stick to the inside of your mask for gauge reading, other than reading my eyes are fine. When installed properly they will stay where they are put. I have moved them between the last three masks I've had and although it is a real pain to remove them intact, it can be done. They were $20 - $25 five to eight years ago, I haven't looked lately since they still work.

Bob

Welcome to Prescription Dive Masks 1-800-538-2878 is the way to go, find a mask that fits you well and send it to them.

The stick on gauge readers work well if you install them properly. Clean the mask well, scrub the mask lens then wipe with alcohol. Put the stick-on lens in very hot water, not boiling but close to get them soft. Wet the mask lens and install the stick on lens in the mask, pressing out any air pockets and excess water. Set them aside to dry for several hours.

Back
Top Bottom