Bifocal mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use +2.25 readers, not prescription lenses and I've not had any problem. If you are using prescription lenses you could have them made with readers in them, e.g., a bifocal mask on just the left side.

I use +2.25 readers, not prescription lenses and I've not had any problem. If you are using prescription lenses you could have them made with readers in them, e.g., a bifocal mask on just the left side.

Yeah, that's what I'm trying not to do. Off-the-shelf corrective lenses with spherical correction like mine are relatively cheap ($40 a lens); custom-ground lenses aren't.

You mean you use one of the stick-on readers that will then peel off, right? Worth trying for $10, even in my case.

I've not had any problem with them staying affixed.

Amazon.com: OPTX 20/20 Stick-On Bifocals, +1.75: Health & Personal Care
This site shows them available up to +3.00; I'm still using +1.5.

I use the el-cheapo stick-ons and have had NO problems with adhesion provided that I apply them correctly. Which is EASY. Wash and dry the mask, making sure you don't touch the inside of the mask with your oily fingers when you're done. Use a grease pencil or crayon to mark the OUTSIDE of the mask for where you want the lenses positioned. Use a few drops of distilled water on the lenses and position them according to your markings. Let dry, then remove the grease marking from the outside. I can even wash my mask with de-fog or spit and I've never had them come off until I peeled them.

BUT. Be advised that they have a flat side and a convex side. If you don't place them with the flat side down, they don't stick well (and sometimes not at all).

Cheap is the way to go if presbyopia is your only problem. I'm 46. (That's 42 with 4 years' experience) :wink:

I use the el-cheapo stick-ons and have had NO problems with adhesion provided that I apply them correctly. [... BUT. Be advised that they have a flat side and a convex side. If you don't place them with the flat side down, they don't stick well (and sometimes not at all).

Cheap is the way to go if presbyopia is your only problem. I'm 46. (That's 42 with 4 years' experience) :wink:

Yeah, but again, that's not my only problem. My mask lenses also have a -9.5 diopter convex curvature on the inside. It'll be interesting to see whether I can gat a proper reading correction with the entire stick-on lens bent like that (in theory, I suppose yes, since both surfaces of the lens would be equally bent).

But also whether the stick-on lens will even stick at all to such a concave surface.

I use the el-cheapo stick-ons and have had NO problems with adhesion provided that I apply them correctly. Which is EASY. Wash and dry the mask, making sure you don't touch the inside of the mask with your oily fingers when you're done. Use a grease pencil or crayon to mark the OUTSIDE of the mask for where you want the lenses positioned. Use a few drops of distilled water on the lenses and position them according to your markings. Let dry, then remove the grease marking from the outside. I can even wash my mask with de-fog or spit and I've never had them come off until I peeled them.

BUT. Be advised that they have a flat side and a convex side. If you don't place them with the flat side down, they don't stick well (and sometimes not at all).

it's like belchfire says, it's all about instalation. i have had my dive optx's [stick ons] for 3 years, have never had any trouble, and do not give them any special care.. in fact i ordered a new mask & dive optx today.. there are a bunch of good reviews on how to install them, go to lesiurepro.com & pull up dive optix, those guys are right on!!

Yeah, but again, that's not my only problem. My mask lenses also have a -9.5 diopter convex curvature on the inside. It'll be interesting to see whether I can gat a proper reading correction with the entire stick-on lens bent like that (in theory, I suppose yes, since both surfaces of the lens would be equally bent).

But also whether the stick-on lens will even stick at all to such a concave surface.

I have no idea how much 9.5 curves, but the ones I buy are made for sunglasses and I use them in my wrap-arounds too. No sticking problems if you're careful to clean the lenses when you apply them. Just watch the oily fingers is all.

I have no idea how much 9.5 curves, but the ones I buy are made for sunglasses and I use them in my wrap-arounds too. No sticking problems if you're careful to clean the lenses when you apply them. Just watch the oily fingers is all.

Thanks. I just ordered some through Amazon. We'll see how they work!

The only Problem I ever had with them staying put was when a 'Helpfull" DM gave my mask a rinse over the side.
I did that dive on the big 'O' unable to read my gauges.

I've had no luck with DiveOptx stick ons-- they always fell out. A much better solution IMO is to buy a bifocal mask from Scuba.com. It's a bit more than stick ons, but it's one less thing to worry about.

Adam

Back
Top Bottom