Big Bay Point Dive Flags

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divereh

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I was at Big Bay Point In Lake Simcoe on the weekend and was approached by the local Town Council Rep and was told that the locals are doing everything in their power to get rid of diving there. He said he dosn't mind as long as we all use dive flags. For some strange reason the tech divers don't think they need to use a flag, do boats not hit techy's, are they super tough and props don't hurt them? Folks we have to use a flag whether you want to or not, take it out and tie it off at least. We are all capable of screwing up.

Have you posted this on Scuba2000, or OntarioDiving? Perhaps some communication can happen with the TC and the diving community to remedy this.

Heh, Divereh, just noticed you own Colt Creek Diving, so I'd guess this would be on your board too, eh?

divereh:
For some strange reason the tech divers don't think they need to use a flag, do boats not hit techy's, are they super tough and props don't hurt them? .

No need to get all worked up. I personally do not use a flag because - ( it has nothing to do with me thinking I'm super tough)

- many boaters do not know what said flag looks like or just plain choose to ignore it.
- I will often accumulate a significant decompression penalty. The last thing I want is a boat to run over my flag.
- I carry a surface marker buoy which I can deploy if I feel that I need to indicate my position to surface traffic. Indicating my position while I'm in deeper water does not increase my safety, unless of course I need to make an ascent for some unplanned reason.
- I also get into the water carrying sufficient bailout gas to enable me to get back to a safe area or allow me plenty of time to deploy the smb if required.

My decision making process on this issue is primarily based on personal experience and level of comfort. It has nothing to do with me trying to portray myself as "super tough". I suspect many other divers fall along my line of reasoning.

Andre

I am one of the Tech divers you are talking about. I don't use a flag. Once I go under at the end of the pier, I am not coming up for anything. I make the trip to and from the drop off with my belly scraping the rocks. That place - the boat traffic - scares the Bejeezus out of me.

As far as the flag goes, the fact is, so many boaters have no idea what the dive flag means, it renders it kind of pointless.

Should I ever have an emergency or series of emergencies that overcomes my redundant gear configuration, I will blow a nice 6 ft long orange SMB to mark my spot before I surface. That thing will show up a lot better than the red and white beach ball most people have as a flag. Furthermore, if I ever am in enough peril that I have to blow that bag to surface, it means I am going to perish otherwise, so I'll take my chances with the Evinrude haircut.

As far as the Town Council goes, perhaps the OUC should try to talk with them? PaulT, you reading this?

R

EDIT: DANG, Andre beat me to all my good points.

I'm going to second the reasons that Andre gave as I don't use a flag either.

I have personally watch small boats use them as racing markers, especially seadoos.

Places like BBP and the Morrison are very well known for divers but yet boats still race through there regardless if a flag is being flown or not.

divereh:
I was at Big Bay Point In Lake Simcoe on the weekend and was approached by the local Town Council Rep and was told that the locals are doing everything in their power to get rid of diving there. He said he dosn't mind as long as we all use dive flags. For some strange reason the tech divers don't think they need to use a flag, do boats not hit techy's, are they super tough and props don't hurt them? Folks we have to use a flag whether you want to or not, take it out and tie it off at least. We are all capable of screwing up.

Can you quote a law that says I need one?

In addition to what others have said, while there may not be a law that requires the use of a surface marker, there *is* a law that prevents divers from 'interfering with navigation' with their diver buoys. If enough divers use these dive buoys that boaters start to complain, perhaps it could become a justification to restrict diving.

divereh:

I can see the flag being useful if you fear losing your buoyancy control, resulting unexpected surfacing, then by all means, if this is a concern of yours, use one. Generally, "techy's", or more correctly, techies, don't have much of an issue in this regard.

Back
Top Bottom