Big deal about amount of weight?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks! And, wow, that would have sucked! You'd think they would test that stuff to make sure it at least wasn't that bad. When I got it in my eyes it stung, but it wasn't mind-numbing stinging. Though, I did use to wear contact lenses for years before I finally got lasik. I suppose my eyes may be less sensitive than others' because of that.

Wow, I guess this is another of those situations where everyone isn't the same. I use regular old Sea Drops and never have a problem. I put a drop on each lens, rub it around, and let it dry. I think you're supposed to give it a quick rinse just before you hop in, but I hate messin' around with stuff more than I have to once I'm geared up and looking to get wet. I just hop in, get neutral, let a little water in my mask, clear it and I'm good to go. I've never had it irritate my eyes. We're not ALL alike. Guess that's a good thing, especially where my wifes concerned. I know I wouldn't put up with ME. :D

Wow, I guess this is another of those situations where everyone isn't the same. I use regular old Sea Drops and never have a problem. I put a drop on each lens, rub it around, and let it dry. I think you're supposed to give it a quick rinse just before you hop in, but I hate messin' around with stuff more than I have to once I'm geared up and looking to get wet. I just hop in, get neutral, let a little water in my mask, clear it and I'm good to go. I've never had it irritate my eyes. We're not ALL alike. Guess that's a good thing, especially where my wifes concerned. I know I wouldn't put up with ME. :D

That may partly explain the problem I had. When the instructor squirted anti-fog (I don't know what kind) into my mask (a frameless), she squirted at least a solid teaspoonful in there...

Weighting properly is not difficult you just have to work on it. I was using a back inflatable BC with a stainless Steel back plate that I liked very much but after my operation and a colostomy collection bag the SeaPro jacket style with a comber bun is much more comfortable. With Tech BC I used 6 lbs. on a weight belt when using Aluminum tanks and 2 lbs that I really didn't need when using my 120 Steel tank. With the jacket style I am wearing 10 lbs and an extra 2 lb donut on the top of the tank. I am perfectly trimmed and weighted at 10 lbs. until the last quarter of the dive then I become slightly buoyant. Also every few weeks to a month I have to adjust my trim and weights as I am working out in the gym and losing body fat and gaining muscle. So a for a beginner getting the proper weight and trim I would suggest you stay a bit heavy and concentrate on where to shift some of the weight to get the proper trim. Being able to keep proper trim is much more important then getting the exact weight to maintain the "text book" neutral buoyancy. As too flipping face down on the surface many beginners fully inflate the BC which can have a tendency to flip you forward. Try using just enough air to keep you on the surface. Also later try taking a peak buoyancy course.

That may partly explain the problem I had. When the instructor squirted anti-fog (I don't know what kind) into my mask (a frameless), she squirted at least a solid teaspoonful in there...

You need a very very tiny layer of anti-fog. Just use a tiny drop and rub it real good. Then rinse it. You may or may not to let it dry, I don't, but I rinse it with fresh water if available. Remove any excess anti-fog, it may cause problems. Thick layer of antifog creates visibility problems on its own and it could irritate your eyes. It has to be really tiny-tiny invisible layer of antifog.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom