Big Knife on BC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

runway1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I like a larger knife. I have a UK knife, 10" overall, but I don't like the leg strap attachment. It's hard to keep secure and much less accessible.

Any tips on how to keep a bigger blade attached to the BC area? I'm thinking of tie-wraps on the sheath or something like that. Thanks!

What in the world are you ever going to use a 10" knife for?
A knife is a tool and any reasonable job you would need it for IMO 10" is dramatically overkill. Any entanglement you get yourself into a smaller blunt knife or z-knife style would be much better than trying to hack away monofilament line or similar wrapped around your arm, hose, or b.c. with a rambo knife.

Relax, it's not that big (I have to say that a lot :wink:). It's a typical 5" blade with an overall length of 10"

Try prying up a giant scallop with a dinky BC blade!

I tiewrapped mine, upside down, on the right shoulder of my Zeagle Brigade.

Accessible to both hands and easy to avoid (and cure) entanglements.

Id go for a smaller knife and maybe some utility clippers.... that covers every angle!

Ya know what... go ahead and dive with that big knife. Knives are weapons and the bigger the knife, the more man you are. Throughout history, who used small knives? Thieves and women. What profession is known for using shears? That's right, hairdressers (Barbers use clippers).

So if you wanna attach a 5" blade to your BC, go ahead. Heck, go find yourself an old USD Seahawk with an overall length of 13". Might be tough to keep on a BC, but hey, thats the cost of a manly piece of steel. Enjoy the big knife and don't let any of those "it's a tool" pansies talk you out of it.

How could it be unsecure and inaccessible tied to your leg? Tighten up the straps man! I'd personally say the hell with it and just carry a katana strapped all the way down the leg and on the weight belt. Screw that little knife. Any shark comes at me he'd be getting 42 inches of cold folded steel!

I have a 6" knife strapped to my leg and another smaller blunt tip in my BC pocket. On most occasions, I use the blunt-tip. The big knife however comes in handy when doing reef clean-ups, especially in cutting the heavy nets dropped by trawlers and boats.

Back
Top Bottom