BIG KNIFE or little knife ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I started with a small, sharp knife for cutting. One dive I became entangled in some fishing line while diving off Rhode Island. I took out my little, sharp knife and began cutting the line. My buddy took out his seven inch "DIVING" knife and, in a flash, had all the line in pieces. On my next night dive I was scouring the bottom for lobster when I spotted the outline of a huge flounder in the sand. I reached for my small, sharp knife when My buddy grabbed my wrist and shook his head. He took out his 7" knife and stabbed the flounder which I put in my bug bag. I still have my small, sharp knife, but I also have a diving knife for whatever. P.

Hmmmm, sounds like we've got a 'big' knive envy thing going on here.

But let's cut the 'small' talk and get back to the topic at hand.

Guess by now you've gone to Cozumel. I'm new to the forum but been diving long time. I think you should wear what you feel comfortable with. One of the tools I wear regularly is a four inch blue tang. Whatever you wear will be the best tool in the world when you need it. Dive safe. Cudabait.

I wear a small knife attached to BC strap (easy to get to), but was recommended when I wear my medium on my leg to wear it on the inside because.... a man will inadvertantly brush the outside of his leg on something and become entangled, but is MUCH more aware if something is coming up from the depths BETWEEN his legs.... therefore much less likely to snag.

The largest diving knife out there is the Poseidon. It's also the most expensive coming from Swedon. After I lost my normal size, 5" blade, diving knife, I bought a small, sharp knife. One day while diving, my left leg got caught in some fishing line. I took my small knife and tried to cut it away. My buddy had a normal size knife designed for scuba use. In a flash he cut away all the line. I don't need a titanium knife because I thoroughly clean my gear after every dive when I return home. I oil my blade and it never rusts. If I lost it , I wouldn't hurt as much as if I bought a knife costing over $70! A normal, 5" knife designed for scuba use is not a "Rambo" knife, but a serious accessory that has been developed over the last twenty years I've been a certified diver. P.

If you game hunt for rockscallops, You need a big knife. or an AB iron. I have used the same ScubaPro knife and sheath for at least 10 years. Bought on of those little fancy knives once and it came out of the high tech clip Waste of money. I'll stick to my trusty ol Scubapro- hell, its a collecters item by now, you can't buy them anymore.:rolleyes: I have 2, I don't worry much about using it daily.

I carry a medium sized Deep Sea with a pointed and serrated edge. It has worked well for the services that I have needed. I'll carry an ab iron for scallops. Topside I carry a decent fillet knife.

Might just be the Marine in me but I find that going with any type of gear that the military uses is efficient and very tough. I use an SOG Navy Seal. It passed more breakage and prying tests than any other. But then again thats just my opinion :boom:

Fred, you are the man, spearos typically carry a big knife for big business, as a prybar, cutting entanglements, and delivering the coup, not to mention we just look cool:) ~Zen

women don't care about size? Ha!

I use a UK Blue Tang knife... I think it has a 4-5" drop tip blade... SS 420.

I like it cuz it's not too big, or too small... a small knife is supposedly DIR... but I think a 2-3" blade is just a tad to small for a blade... at that, I'd rather have scuba scissors.

Thing with the Blue Tang is that it has a tank banger as the handle butt so I don't need a tank banger anymore... and the handle is large enough that I don't fumble around with it while wearing gloves.

Small knives are fine if you don't wear gloves...but I get too clumsy with small gear while wearing gloves on.

The Rambo 7" or larger blades are just a bit overkill... unless you intend to fend of a great white or something! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom