Big Man versus BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm also a "big fellow", 6'5", 260lbs.

I've found a BP/W to be far more comfortable than a jacket BC. As others have already posted, it can be adjusted to fit YOU perfectly, rather than a standard BC that needs to fit a range of divers.

There are a lot of online choices for BP/W's once you really start to look. But for quality vs cost vs service, Tobin at DSS is a great starting place. Dive Sports also has great service, as does Hammerhead (for backplates). So if you cannot find what you are looking for locally, shopping online is very a good option.

Scubaboard can provide lots of advice on rigging if you do buy online and need help setting up your BR/W.

Good luck

I think I have narrowed it to the DSS or the Zeagle unless a good deal comes along. Still having a hard time getting past the extra hundred plus for a BPW over the Zeagle. Not that I am cheap, but after trying on a Ranger and trying it out briefly I find it relatively comfy and it can be had new (Brigade anyway) for under $400 in my size with the forum discount. The BPW after weight belt is going to be just over $500 if I do my math correctly.

I will probably end up in a DSS unless a deal drops in my lap as it seems the BPW has a lot of room for expansion... both in features and my own girth (hoping that doesn't happen any time soon).

Thanks for the help and I am still listening.

As another one of the big people, over the years I've used several different vest BCD's and they never seem to fit right. Recently I bought a DSS BP/W, comfortable, and easy to adjust to fit over different types and thicknesses of exposure suits.
Tobin has also been pretty cool about answering my questions.

I would recommend from those choices the DSS plate and harness. For a big guy this is the easiest to adjust and make fit easily.

Back
Top Bottom