Big Scuba Pools: K26 and Deepstation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba_divo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I finally got back in the water after the pandemic unpleasantness. For those looking to refresh skills without a full refresher course, you could do worse than visiting one of the deep scuba dive pools Korea has to offer. (These two specifically are set up for scuba and free divers. They are not suitable for swimming laps and include features to make the dive “an experience”. As of writing there are 2: (click for links) K26 (26m well) and Deepstation (36m), which opened on the day of writing, July 29th 2022. I’ve heard rumours of a third under construction, but no verification on that.

I dove K26 earlier this week. K26 has been around for longer, has English on the website although they definitely preferred that I used Korean on the phone. They also have a guide program where for 103,000W (weekday) you can hire a guide/instructor to dive with you (rent a buddy). Not cheap, but if you’re struggling to find dive buddies, it’s a good way to get in the water. If you have a dive buddy, you both just pay admission rates and no guide is required as long as you’re properly certified. Also good to keep the skills fresh over the winter. The “features” are a 26m deep well, a simulated ‘tunnel’ (basically an underwater hallway that skirts an underwater room (cave simulation) that contains an air pocket. Air is filtered and refreshed every minute according to my guide.

For the price, K26 includes a tank of gas and all the equipment you need. From time of entry you have 3 hours to get in, shower, dive, shower and get out (return your locker key). If you want to dive again you need to make another full reservation you cannot just rent another tank of air and try to get in 2 dives during your 3 hours (as far as I understand their policies). There are lounge areas where you can view the pool through windows (or look out of as a diver) and I think they had a basic cafe there. It’s best to call ahead and make a reservation as they seem to try to control numbers this way. At time of writing, masks to be worn into the change room (2nd floor), then left in your locker for the dive (starts on 3rd floor). With a buddy it’s W33,000 per person (W55,000 on weekends). See linked site for details and layout of the pool.

Deepstation is newer, deeper and more expensive. At the time of writing, they didn’t have any English on their website. Everything seems more expensive. They don’t seem to provide free use of gear; they have a complete list of gear rental fees. I haven’t dived it yet, but the pictures on their site show ”features” that include a sunken motorboat, piano, (these were featured a couple days ago but have now disappeared from photos on the site, so perhaps they represent artist impressions? Perhaps just a rotation of photos for advertising purposes?) a tree, some carved rock facia, an underwater swing. As this is new, it will be the ‘it place’ for free divers and scuba divers for a few months. Definitely make a reservation. There is a sizeable brunch cafe on site and the complex also includes a skydiving school.

Here's one from one of the links!

@scuba_divo , have any more?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220630-100536_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220630-100536_Chrome.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 93
:useless:

Great information. It would be helpful to other readers if you could post images and captions in English so the majority of our readers can learn about it.
0C618D85-32A9-4FAB-9A25-4BBE0ABDEAD3.jpeg
9C4A08B6-7F95-487C-BC80-A0C867DE698C.jpeg
3382DBE9-B00B-45DC-BFD4-46E55D37B4CC.jpeg

Here are the shots I got from K26 above water (Outdoor logo, main lobby, viewing gallery around the side of the pool). Sadly, my dive cam suffered from colossal user-error that day, and I don’t have a lot to offer. Looking into options for posting some video footage.

I haven’t dived Deepstation yet, so I can’t really contribute anything other than the OP link to their website.The reality is that nobody is diving Deepstation without a Korean speaking dive buddy. So, check out the links. If you’re in Korea and want to dive it, hit up some locals for help. The info is all in the link and is readable via online translation options, which should be enough for people to decide if this would interest them or not. I’m assuming that since they just opened, they will add English to their website ….soonishly. Will update if/when they do.

Good news! I can also offer some salvaged video footage from the K26 dive. Grab your motion sickness meds and strap in for a frenetic ride. Apologies in advance. You’ve been warned. This is my first-ever underwater recording and it’s really rough. However, on the other hand, it does show all the key features of the pool. o_O

That is an impressive facility, The cost, 33,000 Won or ~$25USD, for 3 hours including gear isn't too bad compared to a boat ride or even just renting gear.

Do you have any idea how large the Scuba diving population is South Korea? Do they only charge admission for divers or is there a fee for observers? Do they allow swimmers or is it limited to divers only?

These window/view ports look huge. Can you estimate their size and the depth of water to the bottom of the window? An image on the Website looks like it is over 5M/16'.

1656942519097.png

Is the discoloration in this image water weeping or just the concrete?

1656942635744.png

Is the water chemically treated in any way or is water circulated with the adjacent lake? I see where it says water temperature is 29°C/84°F. Are they using thermal solar collectors?

That is an impressive facility, The cost, 33,000 Won or ~$25USD, for 3 hours including gear isn't too bad compared to a boat ride or even just renting gear.

Do you have any idea how large the Scuba diving population is South Korea? Do they only charge admission for divers or is there a fee for observers? Do they allow swimmers or is it limited to divers only?

These window/view ports look huge. Can you estimate their size and the depth of water to the bottom of the window? An image on the Website looks like it is over 5M/16'.

View attachment 731584

View attachment 731585

Is the water chemically treated in any way or is water circulated with the adjacent lake? I see where it says water temperature is 29°C/84°F. Are they using thermal solar collectors?
😂 well, that’s certainly a lot of questions.

Weekday dives are certainly economical if you can find a buddy, but all my friends are working weekdays, so even on holiday, I had to pay for a guide. However, keep in mind that it’s 3hrs, but limited to one dive the rest is shower going in, shower going out, setting up gear, and getting downstairs to hand in your key. There’s a coffee shop for family to hang out in and use those sofas to watch divers. If you go to the bottom (26m), your dive time could be pretty short. There are no fees listed for observers, but they might expect you to buy something from the coffee shop? Not sure.

There’s no swimming, only scuba and freediving. These are purpose-built facilities. Free diving is really taking off here at the moment, so there is big demand for practice spaces like this. Scuba has taken off in the last ten years, but I have no idea about national numbers. It’s popular, but expensive.

FCDFAE67-8C40-4FF3-829D-EF80315CF719.jpeg

Perhaps the angle is deceptive. The viewports are in the 2.5m-5m band and only occupy about half of that, so maybe a 1.5m max? I was up on the second floor shooting down. You can see the 2.5m overhang at the top of the pic. Take a look at the Facility Guide>Aerial Photos slideshow section and there are some good interior pics that give a better sense of scale.

As for the rest, I don’t know. The pool smelled like a training pool, so I’m guessing lightly chlorinated? 🤷‍♂️ I doubt they could keep the pool at 30C all year on solar as Korea can be pretty cloudy and cold. The discolouration might be a small leak, or perhaps epoxy like on the floor lines? All good questions, but I just dived there once, so I don’t know. Just trying to share options for local divers to know what’s out there. Inquisitive minds want to know. As a teacher I can respect that.
Here are two blog posts with more pics:

View attachment 731584

View attachment 731585

View attachment 731584

View attachment 731585

It is almost as if you could not be bothered to click the links and investigate yourself. Is the water chemically treated? Click the link and find out! Why are you asking this poster questions that are beyond the scope of the post? He is posting information.....why are you all up on him to post more? Do you dive in Korea? Can we meet up? Lets dive together in Korea since you have so much interest here~

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom