Biggest thing killing dive shops?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Always good to hear of LDS success stories.

Pacific Wilderness has very good management, great location, well stocked and fairly priced.

Sea D Sea was my LDS for several years when we lived @ 1100 Esplanade in Redondo Beach.

I took a number of courses with Barry Friedman as instructor, went on lots of trips on the
old Golden Doubloon boat. Barry giving the pre dive lecture while munching on a Breakfast Mac.
I was hanging out in Sea D Sea once looking at stuff when I overheard a couple talking about wanting to sign up for OW class. They mentioned that they were offered a two for one deal at Sport Chalet and were asking what he could do for them. The owner explained to them in detail what they would get with SC and then what they would get through him. They ended up signing up with him!
I loved that shop, he had a lot of neat things in there, very retro and classic.

The other one I hear that’s like that is Original Steele’s in Oakland. I have yet to make a pilgrimage to that shop.

Reactions: mdb
I was hanging out in Sea D Sea once looking at stuff when I overheard a couple talking about wanting to sign up for OW class. They mentioned that they were offered a two for one deal at Sport Chalet and were asking what he could do for them. The owner explained to them in detail what they would get with SC and then what they would get through him. They ended up signing up with him!
I loved that shop, he had a lot of neat things in there, very retro and classic.

The other one I hear that’s like that is Original Steele’s in Oakland. I have yet to make a pilgrimage to that shop.

Jim Steele is a great store owner. Second generation.

He offers blunt and direct advice. Honesty is a hallmark. Fair prices a tradition.

The Telegraph Ave location would be a very interesting place to visit.

In the beginning I had used sport chalet a few times for rentals and fills, but after I found SeaDSea it was my local dive shop, loved Barry and was sad when he had to let it go. Now I use DiveNsurf as it is very close by.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom