Bike riding in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NovaCane

Contributor
Reaction score
As a first timer to Coz, would it be safe/advisable for the wife & I to rent bikes to ride into town from Blue Angel for early-ish dinners during our stay rather than taxi? Is there a good chance of theft if we left them outside the restaurant while we ate? Do the bike rentals provide locks?

Any input welcomed. Thanks

Bikes are a great idea. I don't know about Blue Angel, but Villa Aldora had courtesy bikes that came with locks, and we rode them everywhere, locking them when we stopped someplace. I think it's a common way to get around. Ride defensively.

when we stay at hotel coz we have used the bikes to go south for a ride and north into town and beyond. def do not leave them anywhere unless they are locked.

Great combo, dive in the morning, ride in the afternoon. Different muscle groups. 2 way Bike lane from MEGA just south of town all the way around the south end of the island to the East side and all along the East side.

Just a pointer, the coast road in town called Melgar for about 1 mile is a smooth surface which gets slick with any rain and not very safe. But when it is dry no problem.

After my wife realized that Casa Mexicana had free bike rental last year, it really enhanced her positive Cozumel vacation experience. We have rented bikes the last three times because we stay elsewhere now, no issues or problems. We always lock our bikes to prevent crimes of opportunity. Roger at sombrero bikes is who we get them from.

I will add that ride bikes all the way from the north hotel zone to south of the Blue Angel for dinner. Seronos on the roof ( by the blue angel) was a great experience last week, great food and atmosphere.

In addition to locking your bikes, I'd also suggest bringing some cheap blinking lights for added visibility to drivers (especially after dinner) front and rear -- something like this (which I have not used) that can be taken on and off quickly, and is fairly cheap if you forget and it grows wings:

--Or even better, 2 sets front & rear--

-

EDIT: As may be obvious, these are "to be seen" lights, and not the kind of headlight you'd want if riding in pitch black places.

In addition to locking your bikes, I'd also suggest bringing some cheap blinking lights for added visibility (especially after dinner) front and rear -- something like this (which I have not used) that can be taken on and off quickly, and is fairly cheap if you forget and it grows wings:
Good point. Found this:

Back
Top Bottom