Bike riding in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In addition to locking your bikes, I'd also suggest bringing some cheap blinking lights for added visibility to drivers (especially after dinner) front and rear -- something like this (which I have not used) that can be taken on and off quickly, and is fairly cheap if you forget and it grows wings:

--Or even better, 2 sets front & rear--

-

EDIT: As may be obvious, these are "to be seen" lights, and not the kind of headlight you'd want if riding in pitch black places.
Awesome advice as many of the bikes I’ve used there don’t even have reflectors. We keep forgetting to pack our cheap bike lights.

In addition to locking your bikes, I'd also suggest bringing some cheap blinking lights for added visibility to drivers (especially after dinner) front and rear -- something like this (which I have not used) that can be taken on and off quickly, and is fairly cheap if you forget and it grows wings:

--Or even better, 2 sets front & rear--

EDIT: As may be obvious, these are "to be seen" lights, and not the kind of headlight you'd want if riding in pitch black places.
Amazon links don't work on SB for some reason. I think you were referring to...
Malker Bicycle Light Front and Rear Silicone LED Bike Light Set and
USB Rechargeable LED Bike Lights Set - which you can search on Amazon. I think Evasive Driving would be an important need.

That OLIKER LED Night Running Gear High Visibility LED Flashing Sash looks great. I wish pedestrians and bikers wore them here. They wear dark clothes and even the pedestrians walk in the street. I'd hate to hit one.

As a first timer to Coz, would it be safe/advisable for the wife & I to rent bikes to ride into town from Blue Angel for early-ish dinners during our stay rather than taxi? Is there a good chance of theft if we left them outside the restaurant while we ate? Do the bike rentals provide locks?

Any input welcomed. Thanks
Blue Angel used to have a couple of bikes in the lobby but they weren't there when I was at BA a couple of weeks ago.

Blue Angel used to have a couple of bikes in the lobby but they weren't there when I was at BA a couple of weeks ago.
Thanks. I've emailed BA to see if they can arrange bike rentals, if not we'll rent in town.

Anyone wanna recommend a bike rental shop?

We've rented mountain bikes from Sombrero Rentals in the past, and they have been good to deal with. Seems like they are more focused on road and tri bikes these days, but from photos it looks like they still have some mountain/hybrid bikes also.

Bicycle theft is/can be a problem. Use a lock or keep them in sight at the restaurant. On Melgar the problem is less.

Anyone dared to ask their bike provider what their liability would be if their properly locked bike got stolen anyway? The cynic in me can envision the bike provider demanding more than the bike is worth (or could be bought new at the store for). Maybe it's worth inquiring before renting.

Update: I called BA today, the nice lady on phone confirmed she had received my email and was writing back. She indicated that they typically use Beach Bum rentals and that she would forward me the necessary info. Being inpatient I went ahead and searched their webpage and found that bike rentals were $25/day. Meaning 2 bikes x 4 days would cost $200+, quite a bit more than I expected.

So I took Rob9876's advice and contacted Sombrero Rentals. Rogelio responded by email right away and was extremely accommodating & thorough. He asked about sizing, time of arrival, etc. They will deliver & pick up two hybrid bikes, locks, helmets, & a tire pump for $80.

Update: I called BA today, the nice lady on phone confirmed she had received my email and was writing back. She indicated that they typically use Beach Bum rentals and that she would forward me the necessary info. Being inpatient I went ahead and searched their webpage and found that bike rentals were $25/day. Meaning 2 bikes x 4 days would cost $200+, quite a bit more than I expected.

So I took Rob9876's advice and contacted Sombrero Rentals. Rogelio responded by email right away and was extremely accommodating & thorough. He asked about sizing, time of arrival, etc. They will deliver & pick up two hybrid bikes, locks, helmets, & a tire pump for $80.

$10/day per bike is a really good price. We've discussed this here many times. Some places are mighty proud of their bikes and it might be cheaper to rent a car.

Back
Top Bottom