bitten

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PP where do you live at? I live in iowa.
Be careful of stuff on ebay, and make sure that you take any regs, bc, or computers that are used to a good dive shop for an overhaul before using them.

If I can be of any help please contact me.

ps. I am also a minister.

PP where do you live at? I live in iowa.

If I can be of any help please contact me.

ps. I am also a minister.

twin cities. i truly desire to be moving to texas, Deo volente!
thanx for the offer. i believe i shall simply do lots more reading before we do any purchasing since we are neophytes in this. we just enjoyed the experience tremendously and found it to be something further to do together besides motorcycles. wife carries as well but doesn't nearly go to the range as often as i and although she can hit a golf ball pretty well, she has no interest in the game.
our free time is not plentiful (you know about that) but we do have more, not tons, money than time: when we meet the Lord face to face we are convinced we shall have at least two or three dollars left in the bank.

Hi Paul, I truely wish there was an anti venum. As it is my wife manages to control the disease, but only just manages. (She is still convinced we need food)

Seriously, I flopped back and forth on buying the gear before our first trip. And while I only have the one two week trip to compare to... I loved the stuff I bought except for the free rambo knife (its never seen the water).

When I compare my gear to the rental stuff, no brainer. At the very least, you cant go wrong with mask, snorkle, fins, and wetsuit. ( I am not interested at all in donning one of the rental suits. Just not sure what has gone on in them )

I loved getting familiar with MY gear and ensuring it was in working order. Yes it was new, but still a pre trip and pre dive check, made me feel confident that equip issues would be minimal. I expect to use it for a few years at least. Cant think of what I want to upgrade yet.

But here is another of my thoughts on gear.
A trip for my family of 4 to mexico averages around 12k. A complete set of gear came in just shy of $1800. We do a trip approx once per year. If I use the gear for even 5 years. that is $360 per trip. $360 / $3000 is approximately 10%. So if by increasing my cost of only 10% I get good equipment I am confident in, its a no brainer. Why risk a $3000 trip on some rental stuff that can ruin all of my plans. When its my stuff, I am in control.

Plus the upside of owning, is now that I have the gear, I need to use it right? (see my wife can only control the disease for so long...) So I am now looking to plan a trip to the Canadian west coast this summer (havent told her I might need to buy a drysuit yet, but my birthday is coming up. After all I need to get my money's worth out of my other stuff...)

Welcome Pastor Paul from a fellow Minnesotan.

As mentioned before, there is a wealth of information on scubaboard. I agree with the other people on the Ebay warning. As a new diver, I would just get your mask, snorkel, fins and wetsuit at this time. There are plenty of good dive shops in the Twin Cities for your training and most of them keep the rental gear in good shape.

Most of us here take the first part of our training(Book tests and Confined water) in MN, then travel to warmer parts for the Open water part of the certification.

If you have any questions, feel free to private message me.

PP You think dive gear is expensive? DO NOT START UNDERWATER PHOTOGRAPHY.

You didn't read the original post very carefully. If you did, you'd realize that it's not up to him whether or not he starts Underwater Photography, or pursues any other interests, above or below the water. It's up to God.

See?

wife and i went to cancun and did an intro dive. wondering why God made me with interests and hobbies that would end up being sooooo exppensive!:D?

Back
Top Bottom