Black coral jewelry?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is no problem to buy it in Cozumel but I question if it is black coral or plastic. Plastic is legal to import into the USA. Black coral not so much.
:thumb:
I don't know about the legality, but I personally wouldn't buy black coral since it is endangered.
Endangered or threatened, legal or not - the divers are mining an exhaustible resource, and many are crippled doing it. Please read this study: Research Expedition Aimed at Halting Loss of Black Coral

To resell or just for personal use?

Mexico requires an export permit. I seriously doubt anyone is going to be checking as you leave Mexico, though.

The US allows you to bring in things on Appendix II for personal use or as gifts, subject to some limitations.

I would imagine that resale is a whole different kettle of fish, based on numerous reports of criminal penalties for people importing black coral to the US to sell as jewelry.

Back
Top Bottom