Black Coral (the movie) finally available

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Looking forward to this! Fascinating story and history and the film looks very well made, I might have gotten goosebumps watching the trailer

I'm definitely going to see this. My parents were friends with Jacko Akerman and his wife. He had a very heavy accent. They came and stayed with us several times in Florida when I was growing up. My parents stayed with them when they visited Hawaii. The jewelry they made from the coral was beautiful. My mother had several pieces. I remember several conversations on diving to the deep depths with Jacko after I started diving. He was one tough cookie. He was renowned for the black coral. I was just telling my girls about Jacko a couple of weeks ago. This makes my stories real to them! This is really cool.

This looks interesting! There are just too few decent dive movies out there IMHO.
The guy riding the turtle REALLY bothered me, but it was a much different time. I see divers today doing things that really bother me (taking a "souvenir" off of a WWII Zero) so I shouldn't expect too much from a time period when "TNBP LNBB" w/n stressed.
Anyway, I want to see this movie!

I ordered last night, very excited! I just wanted to add that the trailer doesn't look like it's celebrating or condoning risky behaviors and inappropriate wildlife interactions, or even harvesting the coral. That was a reality and it doesn't look like the point of the film is to educate on proper behaviour; there is lots of information out there about that. Documenting and acknowledging behaviors does not automatically mean approval of them. The diving they have shown looks and sounds really scary and might actually turn off some people from black coral if they had considered it previously...

BreeAbyss: +1 on your point. Whatever happened (riding a turtle etc.) DID happen & including a clip d/n mean that it's condoned. To be honest, I'd rather have the whole story "warts and all."

Back
Top Bottom