Black Diamond Vs Ranger

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

..and believe it is a very well-made BC. Lots of stuff (some of it is even useful!), and great durability. But, the thing is just too big to pack. I have the largest Akona bag made and can't fit all my stuff in because the Black Diamond takes up so much room -- and is HEAVY. Of course, mine is XXL -- so you might be able to pack smaller sizes.

Seriously try out a back plate and wing.

I owned a Ranger for 3 years and it's a very nice BC. But I found it so bulky around the waist and the pockets are next to useless while diving (I used to put half my ditchable weight in the weight pockets, and put the rest in the fixed pockets). I now have a BPW and think it is the best thing since sliced bread. Also as far as price is concerned you can get a full BPW set up for about 450 (perhaps less) and it packs up very small. Mine fits in my carry on along with my dive lights, reg, computer, mask, wetsuit etc., My Ranger didn't!

Seriously you can't go wrong either way, It's like asking what car would you rather have a Ferrari or a Porsche. We all have are preferences, I was in your position about six months ago, & I ultimately went w/ the SQ Raider. I liked the Ranger Ltd. more,(They have a very loyal following) but the 2 things that were black mark on it were, I stopped by the LDS that carried it, & the Owner was playing a video game & wouldn't give me the time of day. On my second trip to LDS all he didn't have any Rangers to look at, & no Brochures. The other mark was, while I really like the ripcord system. I am going through Dive Master Class, & when you have to do the weight removal & replace, It is pretty hard to rethread the ripcord under water, let alone demonstrate it.

So I ended up going w/ the SQ Raider from my LDS, I have been very happy with it so far. The new SQ Black Diamond & old SQ Raider are almost identical as far as specs. Same lift, dumps, etc. however the New Black Diamond is much more user friendly, they have redesigned the pockets & attachment points. In the end I would ultimately say the only reason I didn't go w/ the Ranger was the customer service from the LDS.

When I saw this post, I knew it would get a lot of responses... Both the Zeagle Ranger and the SeaQuest Black Diamond are EXCELLENT BC's. When it comes to BC's though - I firmly believe it all comes down to personal fit. I've owend a BD for several years and have hundreds of dives on it - still looks like new. I tried on the Zeagle Ranger a couple months back for the helluvit, and although I think its' a great BC, it just didn't fit right. Try them both on with a tank and see which one fits best for you. One further comment on the BD. I'm 5'10" and about 230 lbs. and I take a Large in the BD - fits me like a glove. I took at least an XL in the Ranger. I'm not sure what the guy who posted that he has a XXL BD looks like, but I'd hate to meet him in a dark alley.

I would have to say Zeagle..whether it be Ranger, Brigade (which I have), etc.

To rethread the weight system is NOT hard at all. But do rethread it on dry land for the first time.
Two things that sold me on the Brigade was customer service from Zeagle, (yes I have used it, for other items) and the fact that you can switch out part of the BC so it will shrink or grow with your size or skill level.

I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

I have a Zeagle Ranger and I am very impressed with it. On a trip to the red sea I used it every day for two weeks and was not able to wash it after the dives. It not only survived it still looks like new after 60 dives granted it has been well looked after apart from the two weeks in Egypt.

Recommend Zeagle very highly. Also if you get the rear trim weight pockets you can ditch weight from these pockets without using the rip cord release system.

Not keen on Velcro systems I Had a pocket fall out at 6 meters and hit the surface like a rocket. That’s why I purchased a Zeagle.

By looking at the Zeagle web site it looks like they are standard. One thing that I can tell you to buy extra is the yellow weight pouches for the front. Not required to use the Ranger but they are nice. I think scubatoys sells them for $20.

I have a couple of different BCD'sand I have dove the Black Diamond a few hundred times with zero complaints. It's getting a little faded and looking used and I'll probably replace it later this year. Most likely with another Black Diamond. It's used primarily with a drysuit in cold waters. I used a ScubaPro Nighthawk in warm waters.

No product loyalty I guess :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom