Black Sea Bass @ La Jolla Cove

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dgalvan123

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
For anyone who dives La Jolla Cove, just an FYI: the black sea bass are still there, at the closest yellow buoy, as of this past Sunday (Sep 30) morning. My sister and I dropped down to ~33 ft depth at the buoy, and within 30 seconds we saw 4 of them. Here's some low-quality video I took of them with my point-and-shoot. I think there are only 2 in the video. If I had to guess, I'd say the ones we saw were around ~150 - 200 lbs.

YouTube - Giant Black Sea Bass at La Jolla Cove

Some pics here:

La Jolla Dives 9/30/2007 - a photoset on Flickr

(I realize this is probably old news for many of you, but this was the first time I've seen these fish in the wild. I dive with two of them every week at the Long Beach Aquarium, and they are about the same size, I'd say.)

Happy diving!

We've still got them here off Catalina, although I've been seeing them at deeper depths (80-100 ft) recently. They sure are amazing fish and it is so great to be able to see them with frequency during the summer and fall.

thank you for the video, very cool.
what ever hapened to the ******* that speard on last year,
His "excuse" was that the fish was gona attack him.
They nailed him as he was hauling it into his boat.
I think they should twach his ***** real hard!
and then make him eat the whole thing raw.

Great video, thank you for sharing! I've yet to see one! :(

Back
Top Bottom